HEY GUYS! Check out the BIKINI shots of these SEXY MODELS!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jazzbo, Jan 25, 2004.

1. :eek:

2. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
  3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    How did I know it would be something like that?!

You're losing your touch.;)

4. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    And your point is ???

In the last two weeks, I've read tons of profanity up here. The moderators didn't delete it. They may have closed some threads, but they didn't delete them.

Also I've been flamed by some psychotic jerk who can't stand the idea that anyone but him knows anything about anything. It was a vicious personal attack. The moderators didn't delete that either.

Honestly, I'm getting pretty fed up with the level of common courtesy up here on TB. In most of the other forums I participate in, none of that stuff would be tolerated.

But, that's okay. Free speech and all that. Freedom to be a complete idiot, if that's what you really want.

There are some very knowledgeable and helpful people up here on TB. I've noticed that most of them post sparingly, and usually when they have something intelligent (and helpful) to say.

There are also people up here that genuinely have serious questions about basses and bass playing, and they're looking up here in the hope that they'll find some answers they can't find anywhere else. We try to be helpful to those people, as much as possible, and share our knowledge and experience.

Then there's a lot of people that just use this bass forum to talk about whatever they want to talk about, and suck up bandwidth on Paul's servers.

I find myself wondering what fraction of the members up here actually pay to keep this site going. Five percent maybe?

Paul (or moderators), any statistics on that?
  5. odie

odie Supporting Member

I will be going thru and editing posts. My computer is broken at home and I didnt have one all weekend except for at band practice. I tried to do what I could. So I will have to do it over my lunch.

Didnt you see the comments I made in those two posts I closed???

Yes things have been out of hand and it seems like my co-mods havent been around as much as before. That combined with the fact that less people are reporting to Mods and the crap pile his increased!! :bawl:
  6. Jazzbo and all other mods: I could not agree with you more. ;) There is no reason for the use of profanity. Is there any software out there that could detect profanity in a post, and then issue a warning to the author? The second time could result in a ban of perhaps a week. The third time a month.

7. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Yeah, text filters. Good idea. That might save the moderators some considerable time and effort. Some of the other forums have those, for instance over on the FDP, if you submit a post with any profanity in it, it won't even get through the first level of filters, it'll come back with a little message that says "this post is unacceptable" (I'm paraphrasing).

Odie, I hear you. This is a tough job, there's a lot of stuff to pay attention to up here. No I didn't see your comments on those other threads, I'll go back and take a look at them. Generally I think you guys (the moderators) do pretty well, and I definitely realize there's more work to do than time to do it.

I've been playing the bass a while now (somewhere around thirty years), and I have just as many questions as any newbie. Seems there's always something new to investigate, and I've gotten a lot of help from the folks up here on TB, for which I'm deeply grateful. It makes my life a lot easier to have a resource like this, instead of having to wait days or even weeks to get the answers I need.

So I try to be patient, and take the bad in stride with the good. Everyone has their limits, and even I get aggravated sometimes. Bottom line, I've gotten much more than my 20 bucks' worth of valuable information up here on TB, and I'd like to continue supporting this forum. It does help to have a modicum of decorum in one's posts, that makes everyone's experience up here a lot more pleasant (and fun). :)

On that note, I gotta run, the electronics in my Roscoe went belly up last night and I gotta figure out a way to fix it (or send it back to Keith). I wanna end up by saying "thanks" to Paul and the mods for your efforts, I'm guessing you guys don't get paid for your work (except by the accolades of your fellow bass players), and your efforts (and time, and energy) are greatly appreciated!

Cheers - Brian
  8. Do0D, tHoZE ChIX0Rz R HOT!!! :bassist:
  9. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    is the term ***-sucker permited?
  10. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Sorry nonsqtr, we're not perfect, but we really are trying. And keep using the report function.

We're never going to catch everything.
  11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Something that no matter how many times I ask, I don't get an answer. What do you mean by swearing...

Is that swearing, because it turns into a bunch of stars. OR do you mean swearing that doesn't get censored like... well you know.

I know clever ways of dodging around filters like 1337 speak is unacceptable, but my question is, censored swearing, is that what you are trying to delete?
  12. Argg, You screwed me over Jazzbo, I had the lotion ready and everything!

13. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Yeah I get what you are saying. I guess technically my sig contains profanity even though I censored it out myself. The meaning is still there and anyone with half a mind can tell what it was going to say, but at the same time its not there.

Clarification would be cool.

14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    The first girl looks like my girlfriends sister, with a hot body. Creepy.
  15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I am pretty sure that we are talking about R rated/profane words that are only partially obscured, like, if damn was a bad word, spelling it d*mn or d&%$.

Copied from the Forum rules:

Because this forum is viewed by bassists of all ages, all posts must be suitable for viewing by young teens. All profanity must be completely covered with asterisks, or substituted with "@%$#" symbols. If you do not mask profanity in your posts, moderators reserve the right to delete the post. If what you have to say wouldn't be suited for network TV, don't post it here.

People have complained to me via PM about editing profanity out of their posts.

I have been too nice of a guy, I guess. Accordingto the rules, I have the right to delete the entire post, just for somebody breaking the rules by putting just one inappropriate word.