Hey guys check this out (especially the metal fans)...

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Jaye, Dec 17, 2004.

1. Jaye

Jan 30, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Well after about a year of recording, mixing, waiting, mastering, etc my band "The Thirteenth Hour" finally has a completed record (it still needs to be pressed however).

We have two of the songs online for a preview and I would love to hear what everyone on here thinks, the good and the bad. "When the Freaks Come To Feed" is more radio friendly (as radio friendly as we get anyhow) while "Vicious" is the more straight ahead metal tune. So without further ado...

"When The Freaks Come To Feed"

2. Jaye

Jan 30, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Wow thirty views and not one person can take the time to post a comment. :scowl:

Forgive me for sounding bitter it's just that I have waited a year for this record from start to finish and am pretty excited about it.
  3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    maybe you should try "Recordings" lots look for new stuff to hear there.

*clicks your link*
  4. Jaye

Jan 30, 2004
    Portland, OR
    James I apreciate the input, if you think this would get a better response in recordings by all means give it the ol moderator boot over to that forum. :bassist:
  5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Hmmm.... Lead is too hot in the mix and sounds kinda sterile (using a digital effect system right?).

On my system, the mix is clear and tight... but very mid heavy and weak in the low end. It doesn't "pop" out at me. Parts and pieces are executed well (though I think I heard a double bass miss a couple times in the second one). The guitar and your bass fit nicely.

I'd like to hear some live stuff!!!

[edit] my mod like powers are restricted the the little section called "Bassists".... I'm a meer "registered user" here in Misc. :bassist:

I've sent out the bat signal though[/edit]

[edit #2] take my comments with a couple grains of salt, I haven't listened to metal since before spandex killed the stuff that was current in the 80s [/edit #2]
  6. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    You called? :D

Moved to recordings!
  7. Jaye

Jan 30, 2004
    Portland, OR
    I've been moderator double teamed!! lol

Thanks for the move guys and thanks for the comments James. The funny thing about the lead comment is that on another board they are saying it is too low (but I would be disinclined to agree with either of you :D ).
  8. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I'm listening to When the Freaks Come To Feed" right now. Sounds cool.
  9. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I agree with James re: the lead being to much, and through the sennheisers it does lack a little punch,but overall I'd say it's pretty good. the vocalist isn;t my style, though that's nothing more than personal preference. I really like the riffs the guitars are doing. Good work!
  10. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    You really want a critique? OK.... I personally thought the vocals were too much "out in front" on both tracks. The guitar and bass were really mixed well IMO. I disagree with Blisshead and James about the lead guitar, I think it was absolutely perfect on both tracks.

One thing that really bothered me though....the snare. I didn't notice it in the first track but in "Vicious" it just sounds dead to me and it just stood out like a sore thumb. Man, I really didn't like that snare!

Overall, I really liked it. If you guys were coming through Tucson I would definately come see you guys play.
  11. Jazzbasslover

Dec 8, 2004
    I really dug Vicious. Pretty bad ass tune. I really couldn't any errors in the rcording such as the ones mentioned above because it's late and I can't crank it. I really liked the vocals because it doesn't sound as if the singer was trying to make his voice so something it wasn't meant to do. They really just have a bit of a raw, natural sound that kind of reminds me of Kurt Brecht's(D.R.I.) voice in their later recordings. I'll give a louder listen tomorrow and give a more accurate critique if it's necessary. Keep up the good work.
  12. Jaye

Jan 30, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Thanks for the replies so far guys. It's good to see people are enjoying the stuff. By all means keep the comments coming.

Jazzbasslover: I will be interested to hear your final review.
  13. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    I dig the bass tone on Freak... it's almost like dub.

*rocks out*

good stuff man. I agree with the earlier posts about the lead being too hot. When my old band (death metal) recorded an album last year, the mix sounded just like this. Maybe thats just the way they try to make it sound. In any case, it definatly sounds good. Keep up the good work.
  14. fretbuzz85

Nov 1, 2004
    Here are some of my comments.
    1) singer could be more agressive e.g lamb of god
    it will fit the music better.
    2) vocals tend to stand out abit, like its not part of the mix, maybe its the type of reverb used, not so sure.
    3) drums on the radio friendly one is excellent, nice snare sound and bass drum sound, clear articulation. Drums on track 08, the non radio friendly one however, sounded really hmmm, how do i put this, banging on trash cans? Metallica st. anger comes to mind.
    4) guitar and bass was good, nice and dry, good ol metal, lol.

Now, here are some questions
    1) is it the same drummer on both sets? and is it the same drum set
    2) what bass is used on the radio friendly track?

15. Jaye

Jan 30, 2004
    Portland, OR
    1) Same Drummer, Same Kit, same mics, same recording room, same production.

2) A Pedulla Rapture PJ5
  16. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I really liked 'Vicious', good work. The only thing I didn't like was the sound of the snare drum. I also think the lead volume was just right. Of the two songs, IMO 'Vicious' is the better. Good work overall. :)

Graeme :bassist:
  17. Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    Just use a parametric EQ to tone down the snare a bit. Bass is nice, riffs are simple. Guitar solos rock :). I wish the singer would have a more consistent growly voice. Right now, he kinda fades between yelling and growling, ya know? Kinda wierd.
  18. odie

odie Supporting Member

Freaks- it seemed like the guitars were not thick enough. Not the tone, but like not enough tracks or layers. Drums seemed to not be punchy enough..actually the guitars didnt have enough punch. Vocals and guitar solo/breaks were out front to much.

Vicous-the break at 3:14 the kicks sound like they are dragging. Somewhat distracting. I like the mix on this track better vocal wise. Guitar leads seems to not be out front as much as the last track and seem to sit in the mix better. I like the sound of this mix alot more than Freaks. I too hear a bit of DRI type vocals ala 4 of kind or later. I disgree and think the snare sounds better.
  19. Special_Ed

Oct 3, 2004
    I don't want to sound like a flamer but you asked for peoples opinions, and your band is boring. The guitar solo was great but the guitar parts that make up most of the song are really boring to listen to. Can you guys mix up the tempo on that first song a bit? It's boring listening to that song all the way through at pretty much the same tempo.

Maybe your music is good for your type of crowd, I listen to:

Old metalica
    Black Sabbath
    Mercyful Fate
    Iron Maiden

I like my music to have an ORIGINAL feel, diffrent tempos, fast intracite guitar parts, vocals that fit the band but not vocals that sound like you are some pissed off guy trying to act tough on the mic
  20. Special_Ed

Oct 3, 2004
    I disagree about the leads being too much. I think they are the best part of the song. The guitar part on the first song that is played when the vocals come in is a typical generic sounding snooze fest. The leads are what is most interesting.

I guess in todays corporate teeny bopper music, ie lamb of god etc. you can't show off too much skill on your insturment, or have too many interesting lead guitar parts, or have too many notes played at once on the guitar or you just are trying to hard, and that isn't cool is it?