Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hey guys, help me identify these strings.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by GSRLessard14, Jan 6, 2006.

1. GSRLessard14

GSRLessard14 All-Things-Claypool Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
    Okay.

So, when i bought my Ibanez BTB1000, it had these really funky strings on it. Never seen anything like 'em. I don't know if they're the factory strings, or if someone put them on there, but the people at the store where i bought the bass couldn't tell me what they were.

The strings themselves have two colors. If the string itself is comprised of two smaller threads that are tightly wound together, for all the strings, one thread is blue-ish green, and the other is the normal silver, so the strings look like blue/green candy canes. The E string is totally blue, but the rest are more greenish looking. They're roundwounds.

Also, on the end of the strings that wrap around the tuning pegs (not the bridge end), they don't have any wrapping at all. The string just gets thinner so it can be wrapped around it, but it looks exactly the same as the rest of the string.

I tried taking pictures of them, but i couldn't get one clear enough to illustrate what i'm talking about. They have a really farty/funky sound that i love. Sounds a lot like Les Claypool's carl thompson when slapped, plucked, strummed or finger styled. I know they're not blue steels though, i bought some of those and they're completely different. I'd like to buy a new set of them, but i don't know what these mystery strings are.

Thanks guys!

2. GSRLessard14

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
    anybody?

3. GSRLessard14

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
    [​IMG]

4. Can you make it a little bigger? I can't quite see them.

5. GSRLessard14

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
    I'll kill you mike.

6. GSRLessard14

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
    damn.. the image expired.

well, top anyway and I'll find pics again.

7. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    The strings you described come stock from the factory on the Ibanez BTB. I like the way they sound and look. I’ve never seen them soled separately in stores.

8. GSRLessard14

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
    hrmm... do they have a name? are they ibanez strings?

9. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    I have never seen them sold. All I know is you only see them on Ibanez BTB basses.

10. GSRLessard14

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
    well that's crappy.

11. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    You could try and e-mail Ibanez, see what they say.