Hey guys here's some of my solo stuff tell me what you think

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by J Q F, Dec 23, 2005.

1. J Q F

J Q F Guest

Dec 23, 2005
    Victoria, Australia
  2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Your time needs a lot of work.
  3. middlebit

Sep 10, 2005
    If you have been playing for that long I would advise you to seriously overhaul your technique and reconsider your approach to time. Nasty fret noise too! But I must give it to you...although they aren't that fast, those 10 notes are impressively sloppy :p
  4. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    You can work on your technique for your new years resolution!
    The tunes started out good, but once you started playing at thatamazing 10 note/second speed, things started to fall apart. Happy holidays!
  5. J Q F

J Q F Guest

Dec 23, 2005
    Victoria, Australia
    Cheers Guys

You'vr given me the kick up the buttocks I needed.
    I've been off in my little world a little too long and
    now Earth is approaching fast. I will work harder
    now on my technique to keep up to standard. I
    havn't had a chance to get much feed back off bass
    players cos they're a rare breed in the town I'm living
    It wont stop ticking and hopefully I will post something
    more impressive down the track.

Thanks for the support and not being shy about the
    truth. Any more tips will be greatly appreciated.

J Q F
  6. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    It sounds like you're shedding for the sake of impressing others. Do you play with any other musicians? If there is a shortage or bass players in your area, you shouldn't have a problem finding others.

IMOHO - playing with other musicians will give you more bang for the buck in developing a solid foundation. Support the music, not the goal of impressing other bass players.
  7. junerig

Sep 12, 2005
    Jimmy, this whole 'bragging' thing is never attractive, and especially not bragging about pointless things like 'being able to produce 10 notes a second'. What 10 notes?Does it matter to you?
    I see no point for you to play anything fast (or trying to) if you barely have the vocabulary of 5 or 7 notes. Your solo recordings are some of the most uninspiring and uninspired sounds I have heard for a long time.
    Don't see music as a competition (because then you loose), just relax, listen to Jaco one more time and try to see what he's saying and then listen to yourself and think about what you are trying to do. I'm sure that will produce some far more musical results! Good luck and good practising!
  8. you guys are kinda brutal. I listened to your stuff and "spider on the speaker" stood out the most to me for some reason."gypsy blues" has some cool ideas in it. I think you could definatly use some work but you seem to have a good attitude about it and if you work on your flow you should be well on your way man.
  9. HaVIC5

Aug 22, 2003
    Brooklyn, NYC
    I think the "brutality" stems from his "10 notes a second" introduction. If he came at it from a different angle, say, "Hey guys, here are some of my solo clips, could you give me some feedback?", I think people would be more inclined to help. Besides, it wasn't that brutal anyway.

I'm going to agree with Mind Eroded in that there were a bunch of ideas that could have worked, but there were some fundamentals that were missing that didn't allow the ideas to become fully fleshed out. Your metronome, like you seem to understand, will be your best friend in the months to come.
  10. true...you've got some cool ideas, but i wouldn't go about bragging about the 10 nps just yet to the bass crowd...i'd try the guitar forums for that :)

the only other thing that i thought needed work was your tone, as it sounded kinda thumpy, without a clear note...what kind of bass are you using?
  11. There's some guy in the guiness book of world records who does 33 notes per second I believe...

...so yeah...

I wouldn't approach a bunch of bassist with the name "Jimmy Quick Fingers" and the thread title "10 notes per second!"
  12. dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    I think you're on your way to being a kick arse bassist. I quite like your tone- but it loses quite a bit when you speed up- gets a bit clanky and thuddy (ie hitting frets and fluffed notes) The metrenome is a wise investment. It'll definately bring you on. consistency should be your goal
    side note- bassists aren't allowed to brag, that's why people like us.
    ps I like the pendulum feel of the at the beggining of the third track.
  13. J Q F

J Q F Guest

Dec 23, 2005
    Victoria, Australia
    Thanks for you support. I originally wrote the 10 nps in the msg but then removed it and forgot about the title. I'm not an arogant person at all but I kinda slipped up here. It think the main reason is cos i'm looking out for players with my right hand tech (two finger plectrum styles). Maybe I just need to slow the **** down and chill. Stick to the beat and not get ahead of myself. Starting next year i'll be working with Josh Dance a promenent blues guy in my area. I've jamed a few times and am forcing myself to express more by playing less. I'll keep you all posted on my progress. I am in the process of re-releasing my 4 tracks on guitar while I can. I'm visiting my parents and am finally able to record onto a compter. My own is a mega drive with a few non recording computer programs (good old win 95).
    I use a Hohner pro JJ or GG (can't make it out) bass with flatwounds. It's all i can afford right now but it does the job. The place where the recording was is underground and used to be a celler. It's very echoey and loud (you should here the big band lol) but it doen't make up for all the mistakes.
    This site has opened huge revolations for me and I thank everyone who has contributed and taken the time to listen and comment.
    Any good left hand timing techs will be gratefully accepted.

J Q F
  14. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    timing isn't really in your hands as much as it is in... well you. Once you are reasonably comfortable on your instrument, staying in time has little to do with your technique and far more to do with how well you can count and feel time internally.

The best way to get acquainted with time is to use a metronome. The reason is, real musicians flex time, time is not absolute, and if you're only ever playing with that type of a situation, you may not develop a concept of static and solid time, which is essential if you want to step outside of that.

When it comes to technique though. Timing is more in your right hand than your left hand(unless you're left handed?) the point is, It's in your plucking hand. If your fretting hand is out of time or place, it doesn't really matter as much because SOMETHING will still sound out if you pluck it. So, in really, you want to work on plucking comfortably and consistently, practicing with a metronome, and working on feeling the beat and the subdivisions of the beat internally.

make any sense?
  15. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    Count, Jimmy! Count! I must say, your attitude and humility is very admirable - something I don't think a lot of people would have assumed given the title of your thread. Since your tone can't really be helped at this point in time, I would suggest you go more towards honing your technique and rhythm. Wrong Robot gave you a pretty good round-out for where to start and how it works; a metronome will get you ticking but playing with other musicians will get you tocking. Yes, tocking. Find some and jam immediately.
  16. J Q F

J Q F Guest

Dec 23, 2005
    Victoria, Australia
    Thanks guys. I do play in a number of bands so there's no need to worry about that. I also am studing jazz in geelong. I've bitten off more than I can chew next year and as soon as I get some recordings i'll post them. The solo recording i I did was live and i was sweating my a** off. I had change in my pocket going in off beats and it put me a bit out of wack. It dosn't make up for everything I know but I need to start building up a more internal click or hire a drummer and of course keep practicing. Music is a different game without a beat and I don't think i'll do a performance like the one at the limelight again. I recorded and posted a couple more tracks onto mp3.com and i'll post here when they get accepted (most likely 2 to 3 daze). This time i used a metronome and I was quite pleased with the results. A few out of time wack notes but still ok.
    Thanks again for your support and remember you can be either irritated or inspired. How did you feel when you 1st heard Jaco or Victor?
  17. middlebit

Sep 10, 2005
    Inspired, irritated - respectively :)
  18. i think that's JJ...I'm not sure, but i recall hearing of a Hohner JJ...anyways, my thoughts is that you've got a pretty good bass, but i kinda feel that flatwounds sound better when you are trying to emulate an upright or sound like an old r 'n b record...my suggestion is to look at roundwounds, because i feel that roundwounds give you a little more clarity...or maybe definition is the word i am thinking of...eitherway webstrings.com has them for like 10 dollars and they are pretty decent.

in the end, if you like the way your bass sounds now, don't change it on my account. i'm just giving you a suggestion :)
    i won't take it personally if you don't :)
  19. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

20. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    What a beautiful accident. Kinda like that time my mate's mum and I got drunk together and...