Hey guys how about some advice?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by I-Love-Ratm, Apr 7, 2005.

1. I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Ok here it goes.Last summer I bought a Warwick Dolphin Pro II off of Ebay.It was my first bass after my Squire P.I'll be honest I saved up money was excited about a new bass so I eagerly bought it without playing one or researching it.It cost me 900 Euro.It didn't take me long to realise I don't like it at all.

So tomorrow I'm going to trade it for a new MIM Jazz.I know it's like trading down but I love Jazzes.What do ye think I should do?

P.S.I think I'll try and get a case,strings and some leads to even it out a bit.

Mike O Connell
  2. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Uh, isn't that like a HUGE step down though? I would think, though I'm not too keen on the Euro->dollar value, but I would think you could get an MIA Jazz for it? I'd see about that really... IMO, it sounds like you'd get ripped off, even with a case, cables etc.

3. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Yeah, definitely check out a MIA jazz, or people really seem to like Laklands. Don't know about the prices on those though. If you can, see if you can try out a Carvin.
  4. Kurt Hans

Kurt Hans

Mar 17, 2005
    The only good that could come from that trade would be the sales clerk in the music store bragging to his co-workers about how he took some kid to the cleaners. That is not good for you. I might even say bad. Try to sell the Warwick privately.
  5. I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    I should have said I have been trying to sell this for 6 months.I really need a jazz for my music.A MIA Jazz is 1900 over here!This is a different Warwick.Not the Dolphins on sale now.I think it's Japanese made
  6. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    The Dolphin bass, from the ones that I've played, is very unique-sounding (even for Warwicks). You've probably figured this out by now, yes? I don't think you should just rush in to trading, though. The Dolphins aren't exactly cheap, even used...maybe trade for a bass and cash?
  7. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    If your not into the Warwick, get rid of it. But be carefull on the trade in. The dealer is not going to give you much because they're gonna sell that bass for at least twice what they pay you for it. So if is worth 600 used, you'll be lucky to get 300 for it. i would try to trade it toward a more expensive bass for a better deal.

The mexi's aren't bad. US jazzes are sigificantly better. I don't know if Japanese fenders are available where you are, but they are a nice middle ground between the two. Bottom line is if you need a jazz, and it's gonna make you play more then I would get it.
  8. WarwickFan

Feb 7, 2005
    Don't do it. How have you been trying to sell it. Localy in the paper? Put that sucker on eBay. I may be wrong, but I think all Warwicks are made in Germany, except the Rockbass. I don't think they ever made any in Japan.
  9. sambass

Apr 15, 2003
    thats a pretty big step down, i wouldnt do that unless you get an MIA. if the dolphin isnt you then by all means get rid of it, but dont make another quick decision that you'll regret
  10. Believe me, it's a huge step down. Jazz basses are great and even MIM jazzes can be good, but it's a big loss on your part, money-wise. Try Ebay, or an online forum like this one. Dolphins go for more than American Fenders around here.
  11. ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    ALWAYS eliminate the bastard middle-man.
  12. I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Well guys the thing is I have a gig come up and when I play the Warwick with that band it sounds sooo bad.I really need a jazz for it so.......Ebay is out of the question.This bass is worth MAX 800 used.Jazz=550 +100 for case plus some leads+strings comes out good by me
  13. HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    Have you actually played a jazz bass with your band? Might not end up being the right bass unless you already have tried it. If it's still not what you're looking for, you end up losing a large chunk of change. If you can hold out a little longer, I'm sure you can find a better trade here on TB, or elsewhere (at least I hope you could).

Also, it sounds like you didn't think through the purchase of your Warwick enough, and it seems you might not be thinking this trade entirely through. Not trying to be rude, sincerely trying to help you out.
  14. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    Trading a Dolphin for a Mexican Fender is like trading a BMW for a Kia. Nothing wrong with a Kia mind you, and you may want something other than a beamer, but........ Don't do it. I think your dolphin is worth more than that by the way. Don't rush into a bad deal b/c of one gig.
  15. BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    So I'm assuming you're jonesing for a jazz due to Commerford's preference for j basses. This is an assumption though. What about Japanese J basses. They do make a mean jazz bass. You can barely find them in stores in the states though in my experience. Also think about Lakland's skyline series - the joe osbourne might be right up your alley.

my $0.02

16. I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    I don't think ye are getting me.This is a rare bass.It's bolt on has an ash body and 2 single Jazz pickups.Not available now.i'll admit I didn't think through the buying of the Warwick but I was sooooo eager.I'm paying now.And I have played with a Jazz in the band.I do most of the time but the owner of it has it now!
  17. I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    I know guys and I really appreciate.Thing is you can't get Japenes Jazzes and Americans are too much.I can't wait any longer to sell it.Especially since I cant post it on here for sale!

P.S. I don't want a jazz because Timmy C has one.I know my stuff.I'm no newb.Don't assume
  18. HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    Of course, we're not getting you since you neve rmentioned this before. We're bassists, not psychics. Honestly though, I've never heard of an MIM Fender being rare. They're all bolt-on with 2 single jazz pups. As for the ash body, that's not standard but I'm not sure that makes it rare or not.

It sounds like you've already made up your mind which begs the question as to why you started this thread, unless there is other information that we should know about and you havent given us. Based on what you have given us though, pretty much everyone has responded by saying that you are being taken to the cleaners.
  19. HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    Chill. The original poster said that the Japan Fenders are great basses and didn't once say anything about being dumb for wanting a jazz bass or saying you were a "newb" because of it. I think he was just trying to get a better feel as to why you want the jazz bass sound which is helpful information when gear buying.