Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

hey guys, i have a new bass!!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by barroso, Oct 25, 2002.

1. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    you know, guitarists, drummers... even keyboard players... thay have that strange thing about bass and have different points of view about our beloved instruments.

i'd like to know just for fun the comments of your bandmates about your basses the first time you took them to band practice.

here are mine- keep in mind that my bandmates are a drummer and a guitarist and we play old style punk rock-:

Rickenbacker 4001:
    " i want one" said by the drummer.

"that sound... how can i explain.. when you play the Rickenbacker the bass sounds fill the air...it something like like a huge rhythm guitar!" this was the guitarist

Fender Precision
    "my god this bass is more powerful than my drum kit! can i play it?" drummer

"come on, please, next time bring the Rickenbacker..." guitarist

Warwick Streamer Jazzman
    "..that's the fallic orgiastic bass! eh eh!! the bass player's girlfriends best friend!! " drummer referring to the bigger horn of the Streamer body...(note by me...he has never seen a Warwick fortress....)

"i hate them. i used to sound with a guy who had a warwick and he used to slap all the time...i hated. but yours sounds good" guitarist

G&L L2000

"that's a nice color!" drummer
    "TURN DOWN THAT VOLUME!!!!" both

:D

2. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Drummer: sorry I'm late...

Guitarist: Where's the beer?

I wish my guys would even notice I have a new bass. Maybe they're just numb from seeing so many come thru.

they're just not 'gear' guys. I wouldn't think that would precluded them from commenting on the tone, but that doesn't happen either

3. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    that was some fun reading :)

4. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Drummer: Please don't bring that Modulus again. It's not blues. Play the Fender instead. [​IMG]

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    thats so cool...I wish that the people I play with paid attention to things like that.
    I got my fodera; my bassist friends were like: you lucky bastard!
    everyone else just goes: pretty....what kind is that?
    ****! I got ants in my room!
    *puts on riot gear*
    CHARGE!!!!!!

6. Benbass

Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    Kansas
    LOL... That's so funny. I just got my Fodera last week. Bass players seem to get it, but everyone else just sort of looks at the bass and then the butterfly and their head sort of cocks sideways until I explain who makes the bass. It's probably 1 of very few Foderas that have ever entered the bass sheltered state of Kansas so I must excuse them.

7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I love my Fodera.....

*eyes the case sitting haplessly in the corner*

such a sweet bass.

what model do you have?
    I got a monarch elite or deluxe I'm not sure...I got it used fro 2500 bucks....Its in good shape, not great, but good...it has various scratches and "I've been touring" marks on it, but it still sounds great and plays like butter. considering new it would be like 3200 bucks or something like that, I'm satisfied.

8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    "Holy crap, thats the biggest bass I've ever seen"-drummer
    "That's like the size of three of my guitars"-guitarist, when I took out my seven-string in front of them for the first time.

oh, and
    "Why'd you get a pink one?"-guitar-playing friend when she saw my first bass.

9. Hmmm...
    All I ever got was, "Dude, another one?! You're insane!"
    And after a short pause, "But it's pretty nice."

No comments on tone or anything, but then again...some times it seemed like the rest of my band couldn't tell the difference between the sound of the neck pup soloed or the bridge pup soloed. :(

10. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Forgot my favorite one; "Oh, I didn't know you played a five-string," quoted by my drummer after having played the same five-string with him every time we jammed for over a four-year period.

11. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    ha! Now there's a drummer who really listens ...

12. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    hmm...instead of pics of family or friends, I got a color shot of my
    RA #272 doubleneck tacked-up in my Dilbert-hole (cubicle) at work :)...

* I really need to meet some different folks :p *

former supervisor-ette: "you gotta' bring it in!"
    thinks to self: what the **** for?!?...sure, you bring in your Strat and we'll jam :rolleyes:

nice clueless person #1: "how do you play that? you've only got two hands"
    thinks to self: you've never heard of Professor John T. Owens?!? :eek:

nice clueless person #2: (after my lengthy description of the materials, tones, etc.)

"so. can you play?"

...la la laaa...no hon, I needed somethin' to hang on the wall.
    I had $4K+ burnin' a hole in my pocket and it was either this
    one of a kind bass or an autographed black velvet Elvis painting
    I saw on eBay. I stand by my choice.

13. I'm so deppressed, here you all are talking about bringing in great expensive basses, and I still play on a squire P-bass. Damn. I should have one by the end of the year, hopefully.:(

But I do like the reactions of people you see me playing 7-strings in stores who just come in to check around, but don't play music yet:

"What's that, is it a guitar?"
    "No, it's...."

"I haven't seen a guitar like that before."

"It's not a guitar."

"But it's got 7 strings."

"yep, guitars only have six"

"So it's a guitar with an extra string?"

And on, and on until it gets boring and I break down and tell them it's a bass.:D

14. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Rhythmn guitarist upon seeing my new Modulus for the first time--"Why did you pay so damn much for a guitar with a plastic neck??"

:rolleyes:

15. Benbass

Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    Kansas

Mines an Emperor 5 Deluxe. Alder body, figured maple top. Duncans and pope. Got mine used too, saved a grand and I don't mind a few dings for that kind of savings. I think the deluxe is set neck, elite is neck through. I bet your Monarch is Swweeett!!

You guys are hilarious!:)

16. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
  17. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Upon bringing my new, gorgeous, Bubinga/Walnut Cirrus 6 to the gig for the first time:

Guitarist: "I love the tone."

Drummer: "That thing sounds great!"

Chick Singer: "Where's the Pretty, BLUE one??? (my old bass) :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: