Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hey guys i need a cab.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xb100, Jun 27, 2004.

1. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Hey guys i was thinking to myself the other day if i should get a cab to go with my tnt 115. A few things poped into my head one of em is do i really need the xtra volume? Not right at the moment but you never know, im in the process of getting my band started and i think i might need it but im not sure. I dont really want a 610 or a 810 maybe a 410 or a 310 somewhere round in that regin. Cause i was playing the other day and my sound didnt sound right, it seems like i need to add some highs to my 15. Yea i can change the eq and all but it dosnt really change to overall sound of me playing. Anyways im lookin for something that'll fit well with my tnt 115 i was thinking of getting a pv 410tvx and put that under my tnt but those are about 600$ So im kinda leanin towards avatar. Another thing is i have the oppurtunity to get my self a xbox (gaming system) With the money im going to make and i cant deicde xbox...bass cab. Now everyone ive talked to have said bass cab so i think i might go that route. Also in the future i was lookin to go and get a head and use the 410 and a head for my main rig. What do you guys think???

2. Why not sell the TNT and use that money and the money you already have to buy a stack. You can get the Traynor YBA200 and YBX1510 for 1000 bucks from Corey at www.rockcityguitars.com. Did I say that the head is ALL-TUBE?!

3. Chapbass

Chapbass

Dec 11, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    If your not needing the extra volume right now, but possibly in the future, and your looking at 10 inchers...why not get a 210 cab? Theyre lighter, cheaper, and itll definitely add to the high end and crispyness of your sound.

just doing a quick search:

GK backline series: 219
    Carvin 210: 299
    GK SBX: 379

Im sure theres other companies (does avatar make a 210? i dont know much about them) that sell decent 210's.

I use the carvin RL610 stack (600 watt head, 210 top, 115 bottom) and i can EASILY hear myself with 3 guitarists, drummer, keys, and 2 vocals. I have to crank it a bit, but im not straining my ears.

The only possible problem with using the TNT is if your underpowering your cabs. That would be another reason to go with a 210. they take less watts, and if you get a cab that needs a lot of wattage, and the TNT cant keep the watts clean at that level...you could end up with a blown cab on your hands...

just my .02 :)

4. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Hmm thanks for your input i was actually looking at dr.bass cabs. And what do you mean by blowing my cab if i under power it? How would that happen? If i under power it why would the speakers blow?

5. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    underpowering a cab is not always bad. it becomes bad when your desire or need for more volume exceeds the amps potential to make clean loud volumes.

for example I could play a 50w amp into a 300w cab all day as long as my volume need does not cause the amp to distort. another example was last night I was playing a 150w power amp into my 300w aguilar cab. fortunately for me I have 'clip' lights that show me when the amp is starting to distort, then I turn down a little.

6. Exactly what I was thinking

7. Chapbass

Chapbass

Dec 11, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Yep Mcrelly is right. As long as you know the limitations of your gear, youll be fine.

This is obviously impossible to be confirmed, but people normally say that most speakers blow due to underpowering. Bass instruments love a ton of watts, because the speakers are heavy and take a lot of power to move em. If you under power some speakers, then try to crank your amp, past what the amp is supposed to be able to push out, then you clip, get distortion, and the distortion basically blows your speaker (well, not basically, it DOES). Amps with clip lights are nice because you can tell when your reaching that limit. if you start clipping a ton, turn it down.

This thought just came to my mind, even though i dont think i would rely on it. If you got a compressor/limiter pedal (or had one in your amp), you could run it through an effects loop (dont think it would work if you put it before the preamp stage, but if im wrong someone correct me on this). If you set the pedal all the way on limit, and set it before that point where you start losing the clean signal, you can use it as a safety to prevent signal distortion if you were to start playing harder/louder.

Or you can do what I would do, and just use that money to invest in a more powerful head unit/power amp.

8. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    There is a light on my tnt that goes red if its clipping. So im good.

9. Chapbass

Chapbass

Dec 11, 2003
    Chicago, IL
  10. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Don't trust that. It's not always right. It may not catch the very beginning of the clipping that can damage the speakers on your cab.