1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hey guys, need help with a '69 Mustang purchase. is it too clean??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by capnjim, Apr 27, 2019.

1. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    So I am thinking about getting this bass:

Fender Mustang bass 1969 original | Guitares | Laval/Rive Nord | Kijiji

He sent me a few detailed pics, and before I buy I just want to check in with the experts.
    These basses are getting rare and have gone up a lot in the last few years.
    I'm in Canada, so they are very hard to find. Its pricey, but it will be a keeper.

I'm a bit worried as the finish looks too good. Too clean.
    The neck pocket looks just a bit off as well.
    Plus, the wiring is a mess and at over 10k the impedance seems high.
    What do you guys think?
    This is a huge purchase for me so any help would be appreciated.
    Cheers

Attached Files:

2. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    Hes going to send me a pic of the pickup tomorrow. I think it should be gray bottom? Did they have stamps in 69? Isnt there one mustang fan out there?

3. kjp360

kjp360

Feb 11, 2014
    FWIW the SD Custom Shop Mustang Bass pup is 9.5k and is supposed to be vintage correct. That is a nice looking Mustang there. I have zero clue about the wiring and such but the paint and pickguard appear to have aged correctly (and very gracefully I might add). There does seem to be a bit of an odd shine to it but that could be the lighting in the photos. The radius of the neck is definitely 'vintage'. I would be leery buying anything in this price range across a border from anything other than a known reputable dealer. You (and/or the seller) would also likely need to consider CITIES legislation issues with importing rosewood. Best of luck.

4. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    Thanks for the reply! The reason I am excited about this is the seller is local. I would never spend that much without seeing it in person.
    Cheers

LukeSlywalker likes this.
  5. kjp360

kjp360

Feb 11, 2014
    Not sure why I assumed it was international even though looking back there is nothing in your OP about that. Luckily I have very little money right now as I am in Canada also and I would jump all over that if I wasn't poor-ish lol. I hope it works out for you.

6. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    This bass is listed in Vancouver right? Do you know bassist/luthier Dave Reimer? He knows a lot about old Fenders. Considering the guy is asking top dollar I’d make sure Dave had a look at it before buying it. PM me if you want Dave’s contact info.

pcake, design and MattZilla like this.
  7. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    It's actually in Montreal. I do know my stuff pretty well. I'm just being extra careful. I can accept a pot change and the missing mutes I am just slightly concerned how clean it is. Like there is a tiny chance it's a mij faked to look like a real one. I'm 95% sure I'll get it

8. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    I sent Dave the link and at a glance he didn’t see anything that screamed fake. He thought it looked pretty good.

pcake, design and ImaStupidBaby like this.
  9. I don't have anything to add to this thread other than this post is why this is a good forum.

Picton, design, Keger Jupit and 4 others like this.
  10. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    Thanks a lot Jeff!. Yes this place is great for this kind of stuff. I will buy with confidence.
    I think mustang basses have had the biggest increase in value out of any vintage instrument. They have easily doubled in value in the last 10 years.
    Cheers.

11. Chauffer

Chauffer

Sep 27, 2016
    Oregon
    Based on the thin, radiused fretboard, (as opposed to the slab type) I'd say that the neck seems correct for that era. The rest looks fine to me... but I'd never pay that much!

12. Roxbororob

Roxbororob Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2015
    Montreal
    Looks like a good deal to me IMO. Nice!

13. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    I was thinking Super Cobra Jet.:woot:

14. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    Looks real to me - a very clean example

15. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    definitely too clean to be anything other than a fiberglass kit on a fox body.

16. Rabidhamster

Rabidhamster

Jan 15, 2014
    Thats one I'd have to see in person. I was on board until I saw the neck pocket. The wiring is clearly desoldered, to what degree I cant say. Its probably mostly real, but if it really is a top dollar listing and not a bargain find, I'd personally need more info before agreeing.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
  17. Keger Jupit

Keger Jupit Banned

May 10, 2018
    The Great PNW!!
    Eeeeeeewwww!

(...what was FoMoCo thinking...even though there was a gas crisis...ugh)

MattZilla likes this.
  18. Richard Martin

Richard Martin Estimator Extraordinaire Supporting Member

May 13, 2015
    Greenville, NC
    It might be a survivor from the Nashville flood that has been painted. The neck pocket looks to have mildew in it. The paint looks great but it doesn't match the hardware in so far as aging goes.

Rabidhamster likes this.
  19. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    Absolutely a refin. The giveaways are the dull shine, orange peel effect, depressions where the paint sank into the various dents and scratches. And the wiring is resoldered, naturally, because they had to remove it to refinish it. ;-) Value-wise, the refin probably cuts the value to at least half, which is a shame. Should have left it original as it was.

20. keto

keto

Mar 3, 2016
    Edmonton
    Yeah my first impression is the darker sorta muddier greening colour of the headstock is right but the rest is too new looking, and yeah that pocket.

Rabidhamster likes this.