Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hey guys... Singing question...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Stephen Soto, Nov 4, 2003.

1. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Ok now, I've been thinking of singing, but I'm not that sure about it. I can sing 1 Primus song, Eleven, while playing, and a few lines from a few others (Frizzle Fry, Bob, Groundhog's Day).
    But I was wondering if any of you had any suggestions on any sort of how to beable to hold notes, and work with it more.
    I'm going to work on singing and playing more too.

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    be able to hold notes? What exactly does this mean.

Regardless, my advice has always been, learn each part (bass and vocals) perfectly, then work on combining them. Got the bassline down? Learn the lyrics and melody, then combine them. I'd recommend making sure you can do the easy stuff first. Eleven is pretty easy, a straightforward rhythm. Now work yourself into syncopated stuff slowly. That's the trick with Primus, he's usually singing rhythmically different than his bass lines rhythm.

3. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Good advice, When I started the Piano the BEST way to go was with the Left or Bass line hand, THEN the Right hand, then Combine.

GOOD LUCK :)

4. oneoftheway

oneoftheway

Nov 27, 2002
    Try to learn other songs than primus, cause you dont have to reallly concentrate on your singing when you playing les' songs. Personelly i find it easy to play and sing primus songs but when it come to other i find it real hard.