Hey guys, Wich bass should I buy?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Garry, Jan 28, 2002.

1. Garry

Jan 27, 2002
    Hi, I started a jazz band with my friends but we don´t have a bass yet.
    We thinked in an electroacoustic fretless upright bass, because we wanted easier transportation and amplification and we love the sound of the acoustic bass.

I´d like to know, Dou you guys recomend a bass of this kind?

We don´t have much money ($800 U.S), so, if you know a good one let me know the brand and model to get it from a near retailer.

Thank you
  2. vanderbrook

vanderbrook Some days, I miss frets... Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2001
    Denver, CO, USA
    If you love the sound of the acoustic bass, you'd better think about getting an acoustic bass. Take it from someone with an electric upright that will soon be for sale...
  3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I've been doing a lot of research in this area (a lot of help and info from this forum!) and I honestly don't think you are going to be able to get anything worthwhile for $800. Typically electric uprights are at least twice as much and you may be safer looking at spending 4 times as much! :eek:

If you really like a particular sound then you probably should go for it and you may get a bargain "proper" DB in the $800 region? I have been told that a good professional setup and strings can make a big difference in "cheap" basses .....?