hey guys!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kpxrob, Feb 16, 2004.

1. kpxrob

Feb 15, 2004
    hey guys. im new to this forum. im planning to play bass for my worship team. i just wanted to know what some good basses and amps i can use for worship team. i will only bring the bass to church but i still need an amp at home to practice. my price range is anything less than 600-700. thx :p
  2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000

Welcome to TB, kpxrob.

You might want to take a minute to check the older threads. Basses in your price range have been discussed quite a bit here.

For amps, you want to check the "Amps" forum. Lots of topics on good reasonably priced amps.

Sure, it may not be particular to your situation, but it's all music, right?
  3. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Congrats on choosing the bass guitar and welcome to Talkbass! :D While there are come pretty standard recommendations for beginners, at this point, the best thing that you can do it get out there and play as many different types of basses and different brands as possible. A musical instrument is a personal thing, and you need to find something that feels right and sounds right to you.
    With that said, many feel that MIM (made in Mexico) Fender Precision and Jazz basses are good deals. You basically get the traditional Fender look, feel, and tone at a very reasonable price. Two other companies that aren't mentioned very often on this forum (Peavey and Yamaha) also make excellent basses and are a very good value. They might not be flashy, but the parts are high-quality and they sound and play very good for their respective prices. I'm not sure how easy it will be to find a Yamaha in your area, but Peavey dealers are pretty easy to find.
    As for amps, Fender and Peavey (again) make very nice amps for the price. SWR also has an entry-level line, and while I own SWR gear, I've never tried their entry-level stuff. Might be worth checking out, though. Crate is anoher fairly accessible brand that makes entry-level bass combos. I'm sure you'll receive a lot of suggestions here, but this might get you going with your research. Good luck!!! ;)
  4. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Hi and welcome!

JPJ had mentioned some good things to look into; I would add two more things to the list:
    - check out the Warwick Rockbass line! You wont regret it, even those basses are nice, not just the made in Germany ones, like mine, but people dont speak much about it, as some here dont like warwicks... you know, opinions and tastes differ.
    - Gallien-Krueger amps, though a bit more expensive, are worth the investment. Try one, if you can. Very nice tones, the choice of many players. The old 800RB is almost a standard in bass-playing

Good luck with your search!
  5. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    Now is your budget 600-700 total? or is that per item?
    You're playing Contemporary Christian worship music right? Not Gospel? Well for me, Once I went to a 5 string, I haven't went back (well not really for church purposes, sometimes I'll bring out my Jaco fretless just for fun). As for amps, depends how many you have attending your service, something thats pretty decent for its price is the Hartke VX series, I believe there's a 3500combo out for like 300-400? *edit* the combo comes with a Hartke 3500head I believe and a 4x10 but its all built in together.
  6. i play at a big church, and for amps they use GK. but for the bass... i live in oregon, and all the big churches ive been to here everyone seems to play on a ibanez... wierd eh? *i play a sr400* anyway so ya, get some type of an ibanez, and then u'll have some money left over, depending on the model u get
  7. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    Check ebay and the Talkbass classifieds. You can get alot used for 600-700. There's alot of fine basses out there, and it really depends on what type of sound you/your worship team are looking for. Play as many as you can.