1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hey guys

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by stefandisgust, Aug 23, 2012.

1. stefandisgust

stefandisgust

May 28, 2006
    Boston, Massachusetts
    Spector Basses-New Artist
    It's funny visiting the double bass side of this website for once!

I've just bought an upright.... But, have no idea where to even begin. I am attending Berklee at the moment and know that I can get some great teachers for this instrument but would love to at least have SOME idea of what I'm doing.

I am switching over from 5 and 6 string electric. Thank goodness, as the neck doesn't feel THAT humungus or anything.

Ideas?

2. powerbass

powerbass Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2006
    western MA
    Having a teacher is a great start, learning a method system like Simandl and arco skills is essential for developing intonation, shifting and fingering choices. Jazz studies and pizz technique complement this approach. Be patient DB playing takes time and dedication.

3. GrowlerBox

GrowlerBox

Feb 10, 2010
    Nude Zealand
    If you'd like to have some idea before taking your bass before a teacher, I think Rufus Reid's The Evolving Bassist is a great place to start, and will take you a long way after that. Starts with how to hold the damn thing ...

4. Something you can get started on is playing open strings with a metronome. This will help you develop a sense of how to create the sound you want. Make sure to back off or take a break if your fingers start feeling raw. You'll need to work your way towards callouses, because if you get blisters you'll have to take a few days off completely.

5. Violen

Violen Instructor in the Vance/Rabbath Method Banned

Apr 19, 2004
    Kansas City Metro Area
    Endorsing Artist: Conklin Guitars (Basses)
    Play with a bow, and check out Rabbath and Simandl and pick one to study. If coming from a jazz background i would reccomend Rabbath, but you really need to see someone who knows it inside and out for it to work.

listen to recordings of upright bass players, Ron Carter, Ray Brown, Jimmy Blanton, Charles Mingus. There are a lot but those are some good starting points.

6. stefandisgust

stefandisgust

May 28, 2006
    Boston, Massachusetts
    Spector Basses-New Artist
    Thanks for the replies guys and gals.

I've been playing some simple tunes and checking my intonation against the open strings while playing.

I had no idea that there were different methods to this thing!

I am, for sure, developing some calluses on parts of my fingers that I don't normally use. I was told to pluck with the second joint? It feels right. IS that a good idea?

THank you for the advice