Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hey! Harley Riders! What's up with the....?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by P. Aaron, May 11, 2005.

1. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

...Handlebars being positioned on your bikes like it's a chin-up bar? Why don't riders/owners position them where they can reach them?

2. They are called ape hanger bars.
    not the greatest for comfort.

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    They're for people with pet monkeys.

brad cook

4. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Don't get me started on HD riders

5. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Some harley Riders like to have their handle bars around their ears for the exact same reason some bass players like their basses around their knees.

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Thay want to be punk?

brad cook

7. OiBass

OiBass

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus,OH
    As Fernando Lamas once said-
    "It is better to look good than to feel good"-

8. rickr

rickr Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA
    I have always been fasinated with Harleys and Harley riders.
    I think the bikes are quite beautiful but the cost is more than alot of new cars on todays market. My father-in-law purchased a new limited edition Harley electra-glide. He paid over $25000 for the bike. He received it in the fall and it spent the entire next summer in the shop for various reasons.
    Crazy!

9. NoNoise

NoNoise Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    I have to say that I like the exaggeration of it all. I'm really wanting a chopper with the front wheel so far out in front it is almost undriveable, the engine so loud it shakes buildings, and the seat so low and handle bars so high, I'm just laid back, rolling through town. :cool:

P.S. You can see my love for exaggeration more if you read my sig... :p

10. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I think many (I said "MANY" not "ALL") of the Harley riders have almost become parodies of themselves...decked out with some Harley-Davidson branded products and leather covering every square inch. It gets pretty ridiculous looking when people are trying SO hard to portray this image. I purposefully try not to be judgemental about that but sometimes I see some people who are just going ridiculous with it. I used to know one guy who I literally NEVER saw without at least one item of Harley-Davidson branded clothing or an accessory on. I guess I just find it hard to accept when people want to base their self-identity on a brand name or clothing. This goes not just for Harley riders but I have especially noticed it with some of them.

And I'm aware of the protective nature of leather while riding motorcycles...not really talking about that.

brad cook

11. P. Aaron

The non-conformists are getting harder and harder to tell apart.

12. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    "In the larger sense".....Thats pretty much it.

13. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Some Harley riders like ape hangars. They're pretty darn funny if you ask me! I don't think there's a reason for them other than "look cool". Most (most definitely not all) Harley riders own their bike as a fashion accessory more than a motor vehicle.

Sportsters start at about $6-7K I think.

14. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    It's a "style" thing. It looks different. It draws attention.

15. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I ride motorcycles and dig Harleys. I don't begin to understand apehangers. I think they look silly and they certainly aren't functional.

Hardcore bikers are funny people, and I don't mean that in a positive way. They talk nonstop about being "different" and not "following the man" and being "free spirits", yet they all dress exactly alike. Sometime's you'd swear they were clones of each other.

16. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I wish I could run open headers on the street like the Harley's do.

17. P. Aaron

Harley riders, and motocyclists for many years were considered "outcasts!"

Nowadays, a fine Harley is another Upper-Middle-Class status symbol.

The national Organ Donation societies thank all of you.

18. When you see Harley, you should think "Elton John" :rollno:

19. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    It's ironic, nowadays, in order to afford one of the damn things you need to follow the man pretty closely, with toilet paper and baby powder in hand.

20. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    pound for pound they're about the same price as decent musical equipment.

What's 800 pounds of first class gear cost?