Hey help me with my trademark technique.

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by AcousticBass, Aug 26, 2005.

1. AcousticBass

May 28, 2005
    hey i got new strings on my yahmaha and it sounds all metaly and i think that sounds really sweet kinda like the bass player from korn, i was wondering how do i maintain the metaly sweet clingy sound, i dont know what boosting my mids and stuff like that means i dont even know what mids are so is there a simple way to put it?
  2. OysterBoy

Sep 19, 2004
    Ontario, Canada
    That's the sound of new strings before they're broken in. I can't think of anythign that would maintain that sound.. replace your strings often ? :p

Wait, actually, maybe lower your string height? Should produce some "clangy" sounds, maybe tight tension, low strings...
  3. OrderingEntropy

Jun 17, 2005
    keep the strings really low, play with an aggressive attack. as for the mids, the best way to keep that sounds is to cut the mids, like feildy does. basically that means, go to your amp, look at the equalizer knobs, and turn the ones in the middle down while turning the bass and treble ones up. that's what feildy does to get his sound. IMO, of course, its not a good sound to have, because when you play with a band, cutting mids will make your sound get lost in the mix really easy, and most of what people will hear is that clanging, not your actual playing. my suggestion would be, instead of feildy's EQ setting, go for high treble, set the mids midway and boost the bottom just a little.
  4. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    If we help you then its not really YOUR trademark technique.
  5. Elixirs maintain the brand-new string sound really well. Unfortunately they're pretty expensive ($50 where I live).

Or you could just get DR Sunbeams every week. Those are supposedly* the brightest strings out there.

* I haven't tried them myself, so I can't say for sure, just something I heard from a bassist friend.
  6. Elixirs sound new for a while but they start out with a more mellowed out sound than brighter stainless steels. Sunbeams are nickel strings - much warmer than Lo-Riders or Hi-Beams, also from DR.

Again, boost bass and treble a bit to get the bassy, clacky tone but cutting your mids will probably lead to you being unheard through the guitars and drums. Pick up some stainless steels for maximum treble and steely sound, and change them often if possible. Keep your strings quite low so they buzz on the frets and dig in hard on the strings.
  7. Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    The string I've got on my bass at the moment are about 5 months old. Older string produce a different timbre (tone-color), which I like as well as fresh new strings.
  8. No one notices the irony between his sound goal and his screen name?!?
  9. OrderingEntropy

Jun 17, 2005
    LMFAO. I didn't even look at his name before.