Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hey hey newbie...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Geej, Aug 3, 2004.

1. whaddup guys, I stumbled upon your little [massive] site, the forums are really interesting... especially the basses forum (uh, this one) :eek: my bass looks pretty poor next to some of the ones up in here... :rollno:

I play a Yamaha RBX765A 5-string which set me back about $850 (AUD) close to $600 (USD). Can you guys rate my bass, did I get ripped off? Can you suggest a better bass for my next one, like anything 5 string between $600-1200 USD.

I play jazz at school and stuff, bit of Marcus Miller, Jaco Pastorius, Stanley Clarke and the like because I do music as a subject.

Look forward to reading some responses :hyper:

By the way, kewl smilies :p

2. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    Hey and welcome to TalkBass! As for your next bass in that range, I'm sure you'll hear Spector, thats what I would recommend. The search button on top is very useful if you are looking for some info. Welcome.

3. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    First rule... don't say, "up in here."

EDIT: Welcome to Talkbass.

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I give it a 67, because it has a good beat and you can dance to it. Otherwise, welcome aboard and never, ever take anything I say seriously, and never be offended by any of the names I may call you. It's just a waste of emotions, and I voluntarily exiled myself from the Lounge over this because it's crawling with girliemen. And Frenchmen and sympathizers of Frenchmen. And some of them like Michael Moore.

5. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Sacre Bleu! Mais c'est quoi que t'a la avec les francais petit? Va t'en maudite! ;)

6. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    one of Nino's jazz basses.......looks like you gota alot of fender players in you "likes" list.

7. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Given that you are an Aussie (or at least paying for basses in Aussie dollars) you may want to puchase a "drool bucket" to catch all the drool that will come out of your mouth while staring at pictures of awesome basses that cost half of what they would cost in Australia if they were available in Australia.

That said there are a bunch of Aussies on here and we constantly moan about the cost and lack of availability of basses out here.

Anyway, pull up a pew and start picking fights with Munji and Brad Johnson.....its what all the cool people do :D *

*don't really do this ;)

8. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Hi Geej, and welcome to TalkBass. We gotta lotta opinions here. Mine is, that Yamahas are pretty good workhorse basses. They're usually simple and to the point, and that's a good thing in my book. My suggestion would be, hang with that for a while. Chances are pretty good that over time, as you try more basses in the store, and your friends' basses and so on, you'll probably get an ear (and a feel) for one you really like. Then, just save up till you can own it. GAS is a strange thing, I always swear by the bass I have, till something better comes along. Mostly, it's all about the fun. ANd jonesing for your next bass can be a big part of that. :)

9. Welcome Geej.

I've got the same Yammy as you and I think it's a great bass. I don't play mine much anymore, 'cause I'm re-discovering four stringers at the moment, after spending the last seven years exploring fivers.
    I don't think you paid too much, I still see them in shops retailing for over $1000 AUD, even though they are now a superceded model.

Tip: If you are in Sydney ( fill out your profile ;) ) and want to have an oggle at some really nice basses, have a look in at Music City at Petersham. Their prices are pretty unbeatable and they have new Spectors, Warwicks, Stingrays, G&L's, Ibanez and a lot more. I was there the other day for a sale they were having and was very impressed with their bass and amp offerings.

As Nonsqatr advised though, you'd probably be better served sticking to what you've got now - till you are sure of what you want next. By the time you've worn out the frets on your Yammy, you'll be ready to step up a peg without regretting anything.

10. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I'm the resident pain in the ass. Fear me.

11. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario

Done and done.

Welcome to TB! I've found Yamaha basses to be really good for the cash, and it seems like you made out with one at at a good price. I've got a yamaha fretless that I got factory new for $300 off the price at the store (which was lower than list! :D ) because there was damage to the fretboard and truss rod. I took it back, and Yamaha sent a brand new one :).

12. A Valenti Jazz.

13. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    If you enjoy playing it, don't worry about getting ripped off.

14. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Yes, I've been GASing forever.

Website.