Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

hey i got some questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by third eye, Apr 25, 2001.

1. hey, im new here...i just recently got a huge interest in playing bass, and i was planning on saving up enough money to buy one before summer...

can you guys give me any advice, bout the guitars, amps, whatever? any will be greatly appreciated

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    what kind of music do you like? who's your favorite bass players? that's as good a place to start as any - the guys who get you hooked on the instrument are the ones who are going to keep you interested.

3. i think jason newsted, ex-metallica bassist was the first to actually get me thinking about trying it out, but now im really into tool and their bassist justin chancellor. im pretty much into metal, but ill give anything a try

4. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    welcome! for a beginner buy equipment that is very versatile, so you can find YOUR sound.

5. ill probably start off w/a used or a cheaper model cuz i dont have alot of money...recommend any?

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Can't go wrong w/ a MIM (made in mexico) Fender...P or J, either way, they are pretty versatile, and you'll know where to go after there. Also...play everysingle bass you can get your hands on, it'll help you choose.

7. thanks for all your help guys, i appreciate it

8. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    when i was starting out, i was really heavily into geddy lee and steve harris, so i got a ric as soon as i could, learned lots of rush tunes and iron maiden stuff, and then, after i played for a few years, i started getting more heavily into other guys, and then after about 7 years i started really getting into my own thing.

i guess i'm telling you this just to say that it's no crime to emulate your heros on the instrument when you are starting out. try to understand what they are doing, but don't feel like you're doing something wrong by emulating your heros - just make sure your heros kick butt :D.

as for justin chancellor, he's really cool, but it would be pretty hard for you, as a beginner, to get his tone and sound - his gear is pretty unique and expensive. i think paul d'amour played a ric on some of sober, not sure - that's a great bass to start on - a bit expensive but not too much.

how much money do you have to spend? what do you intend to do - do you want to get a band going with some of you buds? or just play by yourself right now?

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    yep. No prob...just don't go over to the Dark Side (also known as G**tar...around here, that's like a swear word or something...:D)

10. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    oh, let me second brendan's advice about the mim jazz bass - very good. in fact, the mim 5-string jazzes that i've checked out i've found to be very impressive, definitely kick a$$ for the money.

if you dig 5 stringers, start on a 5. don't let anybody tell you that you shouldn't - if that's what you want to do, do it.

good luck.