Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hey I have a question...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Greenantgods, Oct 18, 2004.

1. Greenantgods

Greenantgods

Oct 18, 2004
    I want to start playing the bass but I do not know where to start. If you start with the bass and play tabs, or learn to play the guitar first or what cuz I do not really have a clue...so let me know. :hyper:

Thanks. :)

2. learning by tabs will get you nowhere... fast!

Get a nice cheap starter bass and a nice amp.
    and get a personal trainer.

3. 1. get a beginner bass book, something that teaches basic major/minor scales and walking bass lines.

2. listen to music and try to play along. over and over again.

3. find a drummer and guitarist (or keyboardist) and start playing your favorite songs - or at least songs you can get thru.

4. Dviper

Dviper

Aug 24, 2004
    New York, USA
    Buy a cheap bass starter set and go get some lessons or buy a lesson book. DO NOT just start readin tabs!!!!
    Begin by readin notes and doing scales and such. I started as a self tought and just learned songs by tabs for a year and i GREATLY regret it. after a year i went and got lessons and had to start all over again learning to read Notes rather than Tabs. Good luck and enjoy playin bass!

5. I concur with all of these guys - learn to read bass clef first! Learn this as you learn to play, but also learn how to play by ear and how to read tabs. They'll help you out when you can't quite make out the notes in a piece, but beware, many of them are totally wrong and shouldn't be trusted. Try to understand chords and chord symbols, and figure out how to play from those as well - this comes later, but it's invaluable.

6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    yup, get a teacher, get a starter bass and amp - maybe even contact a teacher 1st and ask their opinion on a good starter bass available in your area - most of them will know what is available and what is good locally.

7. check out activebass.com, the have some fairly good interactive lessons, one called "how to jam" which is really good for beginners. It's in tab, and you want to not rely on that, but it takes a while to learn to read staff and can get frustrating if you insist on learining that and not some cool riffs to have fun with. I guess what Im saying is focus on theory and reading but let yourself have some easy fun too!

8. What he said - plus the teacher might also know where you can rent gear (or rent to own).

Cheers
    Bob

9. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Here 'ya go....

http://www.wheatdesign.com/bassbook/