Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hey! I learned something!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Gabu, Aug 30, 2001.

1. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I know this is silly, because you see it everywhere here. I have been listening to the radio a lot more to expose myself (not that I make a habit of exposing myself... usually) to more styles of music and more quantity of music as well.

It just kinda became evident to me to play a bit more simply. Maybe a better way to describe this is a metaphore: "Add air to my playing." Now this sounds weird, especially to the people who have heard my work to date! You can't get more simple than that, they scream!!! And that's true. But, what I mean is that I don't need to pluck a note 4 times a second continuously in every song...

It's something that I knew... but I guess didn't really know... As I was driving home listening to various songs I realised it and this time I KNEW AND IT MADE SENSE.

I may not be describing this well. :p But anyways, I feel good about it! Now off to practice!!!

2. i learned today that my boxers arent supposed to go over my pants

3. In reply to Gabu, Nick I don't even want to talk to you about your problem. :D

Great example of what you speak of . . . Papa was a rolling stone. Give that a listen and feel how the space the bass leaves is perfection.

4. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    That's awesome GP! I just downloaded that song. It rocks. I can feel the emotion in it to my bones...

:)

5. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I've been doing that for years and people call me simple. I say, "Why play sixteen notes per measure when you can get it done with four?"

6. I one time made the comment to one of our guitarists I said "simple is good"

he said "screw you!!"

But I meant exactly what you said Gabu

I guess he took it as you suck!! when you play less it is better???

ahh he got booted anyways

But I do find when I you try to make a song too busy it becomes muddy and it loses its quality.

But then there are many exceptions when more is good

7. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Sometimes, what you DON'T play can make the bass appear more obvious in the song than what you do play.

8. Yea that song kills me, I almost make me want to cry. Not for the story in the words but for how nice and simple yet perfect the bass is, glad you liked the song.

9. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    simplicity is often the best form of expression.

10. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    Simple - Complex
    Loud - Soft
    Fast - Slow
    Staccato - Legato
    Short - Long
    Sad - Happy
    Major - Minor
    Busy - Relaxed
    Ahead of Beat - Behind Beat
    Bright - Dark
    Sound - Silence
    Free - Constrained
    ... you get the idea. Music embodies all these dimensions and more. The more versatile you are in employing all these dimensions, and using contrasts, the more musically expressive you can be.
    - Mike