1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hey, I like Men's Wearhouse Suits too.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Oct 3, 2009.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I think I just have unrefined tastes compared to many of my fellow TB'ers. Today, I went to my local GC for the first time in a long time, and I saw a sweet HH Carvin neckthrough five string with a flame maple top, gold hardware, and I think an ash body. I know the electronics had been modded. THe GC guys told me the former owner had sent it back to Carvin for different electronics. One old pot space had been covered and it had two dual band pots, I think a passive tone, a volume and pan pot. The bass sounded great! If that bass has Carvin electronics, I sure don't know what the problem is with them at all! The bass is $729, and even my broke butt is imagining what I can sell to buy it!:D

2. Flatty Banks

Flatty Banks Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2008
    California
    Sell a bass you have now. :)

3. I love your metaphor, but that price is silly. Except for the really tricked-out models, their basses don't sell for much more than that brand-new. Effin' GC. :rollno:

4. No picture - No Suit :bag:

5. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I wish I could post a pic. This bass probably ran close to $1,400 or $1,500 new in 2009 dollars. I have seen ones like it go for $600-$800 on Ebay.

6. Which model was it, and which options did it have? It shouldn't be that hard to the calculate new-and-direct-from-Carvin price.

7. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I just went to the Carvin site. It is an XB75P and it is selling for $1,109 (dang!) $729 used is not bad, but it's not a steal at all. As you said, it's GC!:D

8. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
  9. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Hey man, its worth it if you like it that much, dosen't have to be a steal.:)

10. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    It's just like anything else; if you buy a used bass from a dealer, it's going to cost you more than if you buy directly from the owner. If you sell to a dealer, you'll get less than if you sell to an individual. Seller and buyer pay on both ends for convenience. Don't blame GC for that.

11. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I've been buying basses a while, I know the deal.:)

12. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    The XB75 looks like a cool bass.

I am wanting to custom build a B40. Nothing wrong with a Carvin IMHO.

13. No, there's nothing wrong with a Carvin, but with all due respect, there's nothing all that right with a Carvin either. It's just a bass, y'know? I used to have kind of a thing for them and played every one I could, but never formed an attachment.

14. I picked up a fretless Carvin, 18V pre, J/MM/Piezo. It has the full blown electronics package, 6 knobs and one mini switch. It's a neck thru, Koa wings, AWESOME SLAB of ebony board.......under $400. I don't know Carvins line so I don't know what model is. It's very light and after a good setup, plays like a dream.

15. Mr. Majestic

Mr. Majestic Majestic Wood Supply Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2005
    From Louisiana/In Arkansas
    Majestic Swamp Ash
    I think the main factor in my loathing of Carvin is purely asthetic, I can't stand that tiny Ibanez SG shaped headstock. Good bass though.

16. Relayer71

Relayer71

Jun 25, 2009
    NYC
    Why don't you sell all those Men's Warehouse suits and use the money for the Carvin?

Duh!

17. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    I was at church today and didn't play. We have a pool of about 30 musicians including 3 other bass players to assemble from. I don't think I've played with exactly the same band twice. After church I talked to the bass player. He was playing an MTD. It looked like a Kingston or Heir and was passive. He bought it for $500. He says he collects basses and has some highly priced instruments, including Alembic. The MTD is the one he plays all the time.

18. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    +1, I understand his attitude. I think one of thehardest things for gear conscious bassists to do is to trust their instincts and just play what they like instead what they think they should like, or what is most impressive.

19. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    It seems to me you have the same range of tastes as most of us, Doc. However, you have succeeded in separating appreciation for design and esthetics from what's required to make good music. Great basses are great, but are not necessary or sufficient to make great music (I'm livin' proof of the latter). I've never seen or heard a musical performance and thought, gee, it would have been good if only he had played a different bass.

To use the suit analogy, no chick who fails to notice a guy in a cheap suit will suddenly thinks he's hot if she spots him in a Brioni suit. She'll just think it's the same dude......wearing really nice threads. The suit is for the guy wearing it to appreciate (or not). Clothes don't make the man, and the bass doesn't make the player.

20. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    ^ +1 to the post above me.

It doesn't matter how expensive the suit is if it doesn't fit right. But if it fits great, it doesn't matter how expensive it was.