1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hey I need a good French Bow any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by TheJimster, Apr 19, 2006.

1. TheJimster

TheJimster

Feb 21, 2006
    Pensacola, FL
    hey guys,

Slipknotz here with my first thread in the Double Bass section!My instructor says for teh upright I need my own bow. I play French and I need a good suggestion of bow. Please give me some good ideas so I knwo what I'm looking for. I'm lookin for sturdy, playable, and French of course. Price range around 150-300!

Thanx,
    Slipknotz

2. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    If the BobG French bow is as good as the German one, it's a steal at $148. I also like the Glasser Composite bows for about $180.

3. Bellbass

Bellbass Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Although I'm no expert, there's a Kolstein (in your price range) on evil-bay that seems like a good deal.
    Bob (all hail) G as some good one as Upton Bass.

Good luck!!

4. glivanos

glivanos Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2005
    Philadelphia Area
    That bow has a broken tip I believe.

I would stay away from it. Could last 5 years or 5 minutes with that type of problem.

5. check out lemurmusic.com for some nice stuff too.

6. camCARV03

camCARV03

Apr 23, 2006
    memphis, TN
    check the bows at upton . They had a $99 workshop bow there but are now making the "original" workshop bows for a little more. Check it out

7. anthem274

anthem274

Jul 19, 2003
    Arlington, TX
    Look for carbon fiber bows. They aren't what you want to end up with down the line, but they will definitely do more than a (non-Gollihur/non-Upton) wood bow in the same price range. They will take a beating, too.

8. appler

appler Guest

The Upton bow is a solid entry level bow. I just bought one and I am happy with it. It's very well balanced compared to other bows in its price range .