Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

hey I need a little help

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by lesfleanut, Apr 14, 2002.

1. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    Im trying to figure out who this is. Some kid posted this on another forum that I go to (not a bass forum) and he says its him. Im very doubtfull of this. could he be right? or is it a bassplayer you have heard of before. Try to idetify this solo. thank you. here is the link. click me

2. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I've heard it before and not on a forum...I wish I could remember where. It may have been on an instructional tape. I'll look around.

Bear in mind, that guy may have that same tape. He may have just learned that solo and recorded it. However, the tone and feel and everything about it seems so familiar. I think it's a knock-off. I'll look around.

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Definitely Billy Sheehan from one of his videos, no doubt about that, the unique sound gives it away.

4. odie

odie Supporting Member

I was almost thinking Stu Hamm

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Nah, that's Billy's signature solo. Stu Hamm has a different tapping style.

6. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    If it's not Sheehan, it's one hell of a impersonator, that's for sure! Everything about that clip just SCREAMS "Sheehan"!

7. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    LOL, I thought I smelled a rat.

8. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Lesfleanut.
    what website is that?

9. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    www.GTA3forums.com its a grand theft auto 3 site, but we talk about other stuff like music and stuff in there.:)

10. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

My first guess is Beaver Felton; Billy Sheehan would be a second guess. I have three of Sheehan's videos and the riff doesn't jump right out at me as one he played on those videos. None the less, it does have some of his characteristics and tone.

Why I am leaning more toward Felton is that I bought a set of his instruction books more than ten years ago. (They are no longer available.) One of the books is all about tapping. He has some really crazy riffs, plus he plays a lengthy, incredible tapping solo on the CD that accompanies the books. It has been years since I have listened to the CD, but what I just heard sounds a lot like Felton's particular style.

Still, it actaully may be the kid who claims to have done the work. If someone sets their mind to spending tons of time woodshedding with tapping, they could play a riff like that. They might not be able to play a song or play in a band or even play a C major scale, but they could tap like that. Or maybe the kid is really the next Stu Hamm. I wish he'd post more of his work. Let's hear what else he can play.

11. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    nope its definitly Billy Sheehan, I did some searching on audio galaxy and they have the exact same solo. It has a weird name though it called
    Billy Sheehan- NV43345(live) if you look on audio galaxy you will find it.:)

12. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    oops you beat me!

i just needed 2 seconds to know that... well, i also downloaded that mp3 long time ago, it's very good...

it's indeed SHEEHAN, i have heard that solo at least once a day...

let's find that kid and flame him to death! :D

13. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    Well he is a member of www.gta3forums.com and his screen name is "GTA123" lol. I already embarrased him in front of everybody though:D

14. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    man GTA3 rocks the house. So does billy.. so i guess i can this appearing in a gta3 forum. but plagarism is illegal.. lets call the cops ;) just kidding