Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

hey i need help...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by merlin, Jan 18, 2003.

1. Okay i am in dire need of some assistance.

My other computer (P166, 64 megs of ram, 1.2 Gb HD) had a weird problem of the HD would stop spinning say after 10 mins of use. The red light would stay on. So i would restart and in the initial boot sequence it wouldnt find my harddrive. so i would get "Boot disk failure". I took it to my uncle and he just said "i'll look at it later" and i left.

I was out and he dropped it off one day. No explanation whatsoever. I boot it up and its slooooww. Nothing on there, but its slow. Slower than the p100 i'm on now :eek: He had put on all the Microsoft 2000 stuff which i didnt need but i left it anyway.

Then i noticed my Cd rom drive light permanently on. I reboot and it wont pick up my cd rom now. But it picks up the Hard Drive everytime.

I thought "okay something went ary, reformat." I reformatted now i am screwed. I put the win98 cd in, it gets me to a DOS prompt, i get into the Cd directory and type setup. All is good it found the cd obviously.

It then just sits there. Light stays on and i get "CD101 fail: abort, retry, fail" So i cant load Windows on.

I opened the case, everything is plugged in nicely. I end up turning it off for 20 seconds (to clear cache) and it picks up the cd rom again, but only for a second or two then i try to read from it....

help?

Merls

2. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    If a light is on and staying on, that sometimes means that a cable is on wrong. Usually there is a colored stripe on the side of the pin one, and that side would usually go towards the power connector on the drive. On the mainboard, there is usually some indication of which side your pin one is on too.

You might try just connecting the hd by itself first, get that to work and add the cd afterward.

I usually prefer to use master/slave settings rather than cable select also.

3. Hmm IF i had the money. I'd so love to get a kick ass comp. Build one of course. Its not that hard.

:D:D

Merls

4. The HD works fine now. and the CD does for about 5 mins. Then the light comes on and stays on. I cant even open the cd draw when this happens.

All cables check out fine. I also have the Bios selected to detect all Primaries and Secondaries on boot up.

Merls

5. Merlin, it sounds like you got the short end of the extra long do-dad thingy configured to the upper bottomside part all wrong :D hows about taking a pickaxe or the ol sledgehammer to it??/

good luck man! I hope you get things working real soon...

6. thanks! its really giving me the s***s!!! :rolling eyes:

Merls

7. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    You might make the HD master of the primary, and the CD master of the secondary.

Or if it is that way now...

make the HD master and the CD slave of the primary channel. Then disable the secondary channel.

If the HD keeps working, you might also buy a replacement CD... They are cheap anyways.

8. Okay look Hard Drive.... works fine.

Cd rom drive is brand new as in under 6 months old. Its the cd drive that now wont as in it works for 5 mins, go to read something off the cd and it stops. Then it "disappears" and i cant even open the cd draw.

Merls

9. Cant, it was a "hey guys have u got any cd roms that you cant shift? i'll give ya $50 for one" so i only got a 3 month warranty.

Merls

10. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Well, that's easy enough... Just get another one. You should be good for another 6 months then. ;)

11. I was wondering... how much is it to build one myself? I could scavenge parts from my other comp for awhile and slowly when the cash arrives get things like a New Hard Drive.

I suppose i would only be up for a new motherboard/chipset, case and power supply and hard drive.

Sound card, video card, A drive, and possibly my cd rom if its okay can be salvaged..

*shrugs*

Merls