Hey I'm looking for an advise!!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by vene-nemesis, Jul 13, 2004.

1. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Hi well i dont really think this thread belongs here, but anyway I'll be talking about my bass so here it goes.

Today i was listening to My Own Summer (Deftones) when i realised I needed to play a little more on drop D tuning, so I D-tuned my fourth string and started playing Creed's Thorn and everything was alright, then i started playing My Own Summer and realized that when I press the strings against the fretboard i get a metal-against-metal sound (plz dont tell me that the strings are metallic and the frets too, Im not that idiot).

Someone tollme once that I neede to play lighter but once i got the light touch the sound was still there

I have a MIM Jazz V, BEADG sometimes tuned BDADG (i dont use the low b on this tuning) with warwicks black label 45-135. I set the bass with the lowest action posible and intonated it and nothing. I use my practice amp a lot its a berihger bx1200 100w aluminium cone. I only use my fingers to play.

So my questions are how can I avoid the fret presing "click"? Why when i hear any studio recorded track i cant hear the fret presing not even in the fast solos played in the low b string?. IS it a problem with my EQ, do i need a limiter/enchancer boss pedal? or a 7 band EQ boss pedal? Does anyone out there has the same prob under same conditions (or similar)?

I do really need help.
  2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Uh, this *whole site* is about bass, but this isn't about Basses.

Moved to Technique...
  3. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España

Plz move it back to bass, i'm asking for bass set-up too
  4. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    There is a forum specifically devoted to bass setup. You may want to ask your setup related question there.
  5. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Off to setup then....
  6. Well you set it as low as possible. With really low action you need to play very lightly. Since you drop tuned it a step your strings are even less tense and with low action that means buzzing. You should try raising your strings a bit, especially if you like digging in and playing hard.
  7. Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    1. notice, that you have to place you LH fingers as close to the fret as possible, sometimes even ON the fret - it really helps to avoid unwanted noise. Also, try to eliminate unnecessary movement - it really helps a lot.

2. if you tend to dig in, i`d suggest raising your action. assuming your fretwork is ok, 2mm at the 12 fret is a good starting point - still low, but high enough to allow you to dig in.

8. Agreed jenderfazz!

9. loobahood8b

Jul 13, 2004
    fat strings, higher action :eek:
  10. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    So, here's your problem. It seems that some metallic sperecteralateral object from the atmospheric layer of quazontibec is causing a magnetic interference which is making your frets and strings become metallic. This makes your strings make silly noices like churps and giggles. You just have to beat up your next door neighbor.
  11. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España

A moderator should ban you, mostly because this is the most stupid answer of the useless answers
  12. Yeah, sperecteralateral objects can't form in the quazontibec layer. They may have passed through it on the way to his bass, but any moron knows that's not where the come from. However, the solution remains the same.

Ha, now who's most stupid?
  13. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I know :(. You're only hurting my self confidence. :(