Hey, I'm new!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Eric11, Apr 22, 2003.

1. Eric11

Apr 22, 2003
    hey i just joined this site even though ive been browsing it for a while, and im new to bass playing, although ive played guitar for a while, i have an ibanez gsr100 bass, and i was just wondering a few good songs to get started on, some bands i like are nofx, pink floyd, pantera, jimi hendrix, sublime, bob marley, and i like some rap too, like dr dre and project pat, hope this hasnt been posted too many times before im too lazy to do a search and if you could just post some of the first songs you learned thatd be cool thanks
  2. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Um...quit bein' so lazy and do a search!:D

Oh...and nice sentence. I don't know anybody who's ever written one that was so long!:rolleyes:
  3. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

One post and already gettin' the TB treatment! ;)

Welcome to TB, make sure your seatbelt is fastened.
  4. Eric11

Apr 22, 2003
    i know im a bass noob thats why i posted that ill search since i got spare time
  5. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Welcome to TalkBass Eric11
  6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey eric

welcome to talkbass. you'll get better success with your question in miscellaneous, so off it goes...
  7. Punctuation is good. Use it.

Welcome to TalkBass.
  8. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I'm sorry, I would have posted faster, but I ran out of breath from trying to read the biggest run on sentence I have ever seen.

Unsaid TB rule No1.: Search first, then ask.

Don't needlessly waste peoples time because you are to "lazy" to do a search.:rolleyes:
  9. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    hey man, welcome to da club! :)

sublime.....well, a good song to learn is santeria, and many of their other songs have nice basslines.

Don't mind the people who comment on your punctuation, you use commas, and thats good enough!

[edit] another thing to add, to all the people tellin the guy to search, come on, he just got here, He'll get the idea soon enough.
  10. Eric11

Apr 22, 2003
    thanks. sorry about my post if it annoyed any of you. i have a feeling you'll get over it
  11. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Wow, you ARE new here.
  12. Eric11

Apr 22, 2003
    i was being semi sarcastic
  13. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Is "don't be a wanker" in the Terms of Service? That could be a useful addition.
  14. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
  15. start out with some black sabbath stuff, most of it is easy to hear on the songs and isnt too hard to play, maybe start with N.I.B.
  16. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Anyone who starts a thread with the title "hey" deserves the TB treatment.:p :meh:

Lemme fix that.
  17. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI

We are in the same boat. I am new to this site and new to bass playing. I am a converted drummer so I found the bass to be quite easy for me to learn for me anyway, I have been playing for almost a year. The only thing I can say is diversify, the different artists you learn, styles, etc. will only make you better. I play it all, I may not like the song my band choses to learn all the time but I appreciate the knowledge I get from a new artist I have not played before. I have learned a lot in a short time because I have diversified the artists and styles I have been learning, it will only help me down the road. Just don't be one of those guys who learns bits and pieces of songs, learn the whole thing, song structure is very important and found to be very helpful in learning other songs quickly. It seems the more I learn the easier it is to pick apart a new song. By the way I got a lot of great advise off this site already, I'm hooked! GOOD LUCK
  18. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    snip::By the way I got a lot of great advise off this site already, I'm hooked! :: paste::

Tell me about it ;) 3 years ago i was here looking for tabs. Now, the bulk of my online time is spent here and practicing. Thats all
  19. Eric11

Apr 22, 2003
    yeah, from what i can tell this is a great site, thanks for the advice