Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hey, It Looks Like I Got My First Spammer!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Nov 1, 2004.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I've got a bass for sale in the Bassgear.com classifieds, and I got this email today:

"subject: ready to buy
    Hello
    I saw your of advert on internet for your Hill Custom six-string fretless $2000,
    this a product i like to have,but will like to see picture (there's a link to dozens of pics in the ad).
    I am ready to pay $2300.I am in West Africa for a
    business trip but based in UK.I be will responsible for shipment
    at any location of your choice.If my offer is accepted to you
    kindly get back to me.
    Regards
    Rose"

Woohoo! People always offer me hundreds more than I ask :meh: This one is far less obvious than some of the others I've heard of on here-it seems like they're getting smarter about it. Whaddya think I should email them back with? It came from a normal Yahoo account.

2. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Request a picture of them sucking their own toes while holding a beer upside down to verify who they are :D

3. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    I got a similar offer the first time I posted a sale on bassgear. The guy was from Romania and wanted me to deal with some Korean business associate and all sorts of other complicated money laundering matters. I asked my dad about it, and he said "the only people more untrustworthy than Hungarians are Romanians." ( We're Hungarian/Romanian, so I guess he's allowed to say that ;) )

4. Hehe, reminds me of that guy selling the ibook. :D

5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Do the ibook thing!!!!!

Tape some bass strings to a butter knife and mail it to them.

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    :D
    I must have missed the iBook thing-could someone rehash it for me?

I'm thinking I'll send her (him) an email saying I'll do it but only if they send me cash. I've got great eBay feedback-how could they not want to ;)

7. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    I can't believe you're selling the Hill.

*Looks at bank account....-$5.*

Hey man, check is in the mail. Just don't cash it until after christmas. ;)

8. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    don't do it - bad vibe

i much pleased to make contact of you regrds you beautiful bass of hill. As i am now in Sweden much sorry to relate that you must send cod to most reliable in singapore associate. 2500 USD dollars will send to you I upon receipt through bank of argentina.

9. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Hey, I need to get some Christmas presents like you get! :D

Yeah, I've gotten the "I can't believe..." comment a few times now. It's a great bass and it has the sound I want, but I'm not improving on the whole 6-string fretless thing-I'm kinda laying on the C-string too much or not using it at all. I've also discovered that Elrick singlecuts are built like they're made just for my awkward little body.

Oh and don't worry Mike. I have no intention of dealing with them. I will be contacting your friend in Singapore though....

10. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Nothing. Obviously looks like a scam.

Cheers,
    JL

11. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I know it does, like I said in the first post. I was asking if I should write them something back saying to stop trying to scam people, maybe try and mess with them a little bit, etc.

12. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    No, because these are probably networks of scammers, and they share all valid e-mail addresses they collect. If you reply there, you might probably receive dozens other scam mails.

Cheers,
    JL

13. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I get them everyday. Only I get variations on the Nigerian scam wanting me to hold 10 million bucks for them. I wonder if people really fall for stuff like that?

14. Yup, they do.

15. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Obviously a scam, but mail them back asking how they intend to pay.

Rose,

I accept your offer for $2300, please advise how you would like to pay?

Regards

Bryan

Lets have some fun.

16. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Well, in all fairness I did help out that one Nigerian, and he did send $10 mil to my bank account.
    I put it to good use-here's a recent photo of me now that I'm made of gold:
    [​IMG]

17. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    They sound perfectly legitimate (and flewint in inglish) to me. I'd go ahead and send them the bass. I'm sure they're good for the $$ and will send you a check as soon as they find a pen that can write. On second thought, send me the bass, I'm sure I'm just as good for the $$ as they are...

18. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    At least I could attempt to hunt you down after not paying :D I'll be watching you if you come to the CT get-together :ninja: :bag:

19. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts

{checks to see if he has a pair of pants baggy enough to hide a Hill bass in. Finds one that might be close...}

20. uglycicles

uglycicles Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Southwest Chicago
    There are some good stories on how to play with these guys here.