Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

hey jeff rader, guess what i saw at guitar center marietta today

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by john turner, Nov 18, 2002.

1. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    your old bass. the dp custom you had built - yours was the one with the buckeye burl top, right? they wanted $1299 for it.

first time i actually got a chance to see a dp up close. interesting.

2. Marietta... GA?

Funny! PM me on your impressions...

Jeff

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I wanna know his impressions, too!!!!! :)

4. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    JT, you do impressions?
    I wanna see!

5. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I might have to drive out tomorrow after work to check this thing out.

I've wanted to see a Pushic in the flesh, and especially THIS Pushic.

How much are they asking, John? I figure if it's for sale at Guitar Center, there's no reason to be hush hush about your impressions, too.

6. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Yeah, we all wanna hear about what ya thought of it.

7. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Yep! Come on JT...tell us everything ;)

JP

8. odie

odie Supporting Member

JT- want to first see your impression of the bass and then hear your impressions of the bass!! :)

Seriously I would like to hear what your review of it is. Considering I just put together a custom idea list that I may shop to DP.

9. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, they want $1299.

as for my impressions, well, i concur with the "looks good at 3 feet" comment that seems to come up a lot, although on this particular instrument i felt those flaws were minor. still, i was a bit disappointed in some of the finishing flaws - they're so unnecessary - seems like just a bit more work could be done to make the edges a lot cleaner and smoother.

bill conklin probably has pretty much the same tool shop as dp has (meaning nothing too fancy in the tool department), so i know that it's possible to have made an instrument by hand with cleaner lines. this bass had a bit of a "amateur wood shop" feel to it - the details were a bit lacking. the glued on headstock was of-center a bit, and the thick top of the buckeye burl was not perfrectly flat. the edges were a bit "lumpy" - not even, and the pickup routes were a bit sloppy, but not too bad. the action on the instrument was a bit high, and uneven, but that's just a setup issue - the neck, action and intonation of the bass need some attention. the control cavity cover _needs_ to be recessed - i've seen that on a few dp instruments, and that raised cover needs to go, and the drilling error on the truss rod cover was totally unnecessary - the screw nearest to the low e string was missing on the bass.

for the price range i imagine it's a pretty good deal, but i think that the instrument would be better served with a lot more attention paid to the finishing details. simple stuff like making sure that cutaways are smooth and devoid of lumps or uneven spots, and rounded evenly. there are many spots on that instrument that are not "perfectly" smooth that could have been with just a bit of work. the pickup routes could've been done with a home-made template and have been more even. these little things would've made a huge difference - the devil's in the details, imo.

don't get me wrong, it's obviously miles away from a wishnevsky, but it still had some of the "hand-hacked" elements to it that make me think "woodshop hobby project" as opposed to "pro level instrument".

i guess i'm a bit spoiled - all my conkins were made by hand, hand carved necks, hand shaped and routed, and yet all the lines are clean and even.

10. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    oh, as for impressions, uh...

[​IMG]

"thank you, thankyouverymuch"...

:D

11. odie

odie Supporting Member

JT- what do you mean about the error on the truss rod cover??

Did you play it throught an amp?? What was the fret dressing like??

12. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Thanks for your observations, John.

I start driving to NC on Thurs to pick up mine. If I see any of that garbage/crap, the bass isn't leaving Matthews, NC. I'll stay in NC till it's done right.....and I mean "RIGHT" after all this waiting.

I'm still keeping "the faith" to be fair, though. Some of the basses have looked so fine.

13. odie

odie Supporting Member

Its the King!!!

Now if he only played a seven string bass.

14. odie

odie Supporting Member

Rickbass- What is his policy?? Dont like "=" no buy?? Or does it have to more structural other than finish and details??

15. rickbass

I don't "accept" policy......I "make" it.

If it looks like a $20 slut but sounds like a $3000 babe, that's most important to me.

Thing is - I've never seen a crappy looking bass that didn't sound crappy.

16. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    the truss rod cover had three screws - one of them was so close to the lower left corner so that the hole actually hit the edge of the cover. the cover itself seemed a bit rough on the top - not smooth.

i played it a little and it sounded ok, but not much - i was in a bit of a hurry, and the strings were pretty dead. from what i could tell the frets looked pretty good, although i could tell that the intonation was off, so i didn't know if they were placed correctly. i was tempted to go to one of the gc guys and get an allen wrench and set the puppy up (the action was super high too, but like i said i was in a hurry). the neck itself looked ok, but it was hard to tell with the action the way it was.

17. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey, don't get me wrong, this bass looked pretty darn good too - not totally "woodshop", just little bits here and there, but too many imo, for me personally. what i want in a custom bass, is handmade perfection and precision in workmanship and tolerances.

18. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i'd like to add, that since i've been bringing up bill conklin, i'd say, for comparison, that to have that bass built by bill conklin would've probably cost about 3x as much, if not more, so that's something else to consider.

19. rickbass

That's a fine point.

But I don't see price any legitimization for producing "junk."

My trust has been that DP takes too much pride to let that happen.

20. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, there's a big difference between sloppy finishing and junk, imo. i definitely don't think rader's old 6 is junk - i wouldn't buy it, but i could use it at a gig if i had to, and it would probably do fine, with a proper setup.

just trying to convey the proper caveats. :)