Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hey Jim K......new Holland...kinda

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by jerry, Jan 29, 2003.

1. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    There is a new album out with Dave Holland with John Scofield/ Joe Lovano/ and the great Al Forster on drums you might dig. It's called 'Scolohofo' great playing from all involved.....especialy the Holland & Forster:cool:

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Jerry-

Thanks for putting me further down the road to the Poor House...you know I'm gonna have to check this out!

3. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    LOL....I'll be there with ya........but we will have a heck of a record collection:D

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I got this today - just realised it was out and it's pay-day!!

I'm listening to it now - a bass solo from Dave - great intro to track 3!! :)

Still think it should be in DB though! ;)

5. Bruce Lindfield

I'm liking it more and more - so you get three major voices in Jazz together who all have their own styles and contributions to the current scene.

Scofield the funky, rock-influenced side - Lovano, more in the tradition of Jazz Sax from Coltrane onwards, but spiky and with his own style - Dave Holland as an original composer, coming from free Jazz and rhythmic innovation - etc etc .

Great combination and great value for money!! Over 70 minutes of original music!!

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    If the store has ScoLoHoFo, I'll pick it up manana...maybe.
    My Mosiac 3-cd box of Granchan Moncur III just arrived-
    Complete with a "defective" Disc 1, too!

If you're the kinda guy that's been searching for some OOP Blue Notes like Moncur's Evolution & Some Other Stuff plus Jackie Mclean's One Step Beyond & Hipnosis...then you'll dig this box.
    Check out the personnel on Some Other Stuff-
    Moncur, Tony Wiiliams, Herbie, & Cecil McBee. Now that's a band!

Oh yeah-
    And I bought Evolution & One Step Beyond within the past years as imports!:mad:

7. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    I heard this SchHoLoFo band a couple of years ago, when one of their UK concerts was broacast on BBC radio. Good stuff, although I am not too keen on Lavano.

More to my taste is a concert I've just watched on the Performance Channel on satellite TV - Herbie Hancock and the 'New Standards Group' at the Montreal Jazz Fest ('97 I think). Hancock, Michael Brecker, Holland, Schofield, Jack DeJohnette and Don Alias - some band! Great stuff - Dave H even strapped on an acoustic bass guitar for the last tune, which was a sort of groovin' r'n'b/blues number. I wish I'd taped it, but I think it will be repeated pretty soon.

8. Bruce Lindfield

I watched that last might as well from 11.00 to midnight - I was just looking for this thread to mention the coincidence!! ;)

The last song was PRINCE's "Thieves in the Temple" - I think this was Herbie's attempt at defining New "Standards" - taking and transforming pop tunes rather than as Jazz musicians usually do Broadway show tunes from the early 20th C.

They also did Norwegian Wood !

I must say I am becoming something of a Lovano fan - I also bought his "Tenor Legacy" recently - which has a great band!! Christian McBride on bass, with Mulgrew Miller, Joshua Redman, Lewis Nash and Don Alias.

I was initially interested in different versions of Lovano's "The Road to Ephesus" having plaed this at Jazz Summerschool and getting obsessed with the bassline!! ;) But I really like the whole album.

I think Lovano writes some interesting tunes and would love to know the "theory" behind them - why his sequences sound so spiky, but still within the straight ahead Jazz tradition?

9. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Yes, I've got Herbie's album 'The New Standard'. Like you say - he's taking more modern pop standards and giving them the Jazz treatment.

He's done New York Minute (Eagles), Mercy Street (Peter Gabriel), Norwegian Wood (Beatles), When Can I See You (Babyface), You've Got It Bad Girl (Stevie), Love Is Stronger Than Pride (Sade), Scarborough Fair (Simon & Garfunkel), Thieves In The Temple (Prince), All Apologies (Nirvana!), and Your Gold Teeth II (Steely Dan).

On the album he plays with Brecker, Scofield, Holland, DeJohnette, and Alias.

10. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    I only discovered the Performance Channel about three weeks ago - I don't know if it's new or what. There's been some pretty decent jazz stuff on every couple of days.

My statement that I'm "not keen on Lovano" is really based on his performance at this year's London Jazz Fest - not my cup of tea at all.

11. Bruce Lindfield

I know what you mean - he is very variable and people I know have walked out of his concerts as it was too much like "Free Jazz" for their tastes!!

But he does write some good pieces and can be very melodic - seems to depend what day you get him on!! ;)

12. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I have Lovano's Trio Fascination, Vol. 1...Holland & Elvin.
    Pretty good. ;)

I went shopping & the store didn't have ScoLoHoFo.
    Big surprise.

The mailman did come through, though-
    Steve Coleman & Five Elements-On The Edge Of Tomorrow
    ...M-Base "odd" Funk that hits you between the eyes. The drumming is heavy; lotta popped bass throughout, too.

Eddie Henderson-Anthology TWO: The Capricorn Years. More good stuff from the guy that gave us Sunburst with Alphonso. This Anthology contains two(2) albums originally released on Capricorn Records-
    Realization & Inside Out.
    The group is pretty much Herbie's Sextant band! Check out www.dustygrooves.com if interested.

Don Pullen-Tomorrow's Promises
    ...I would never guess this was a Don Pullen record.
    He's playing some electric piano; pretty funky stuff, not the "Free" stuff he's usually associated with(although Track 5...now playing, does sound like what I'd expect from Pullen. He's definitely missed!)