Hey JimK! (and any other jazz fans)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by DaveBeny, Mar 16, 2003.

1. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    As promised, a couple of photos from my recent trip to NYC (first time in the States).

I happened to catch a duo gig by saxophonist Sonny Fortune (Miles Davis 73-75 - my favourite band!) and drummer Rashied Ali (ex-John Coltrane!)

Very cool stuff! The 10pm set consisted of some 6-8 "tunes" - ie. a melody/head, followed by 5-10mins of pretty free improv, working its way back somehow to the original melody.

The midnight set was about 75mins of solid, continuous improvisation, and made exhausting listening.

I got to speak to both of them (there were only about 25-30 people in the audience that night :( ). Ali was not very talkative - too busy eating the bar snacks - plus I was a bit awestruck sitting next to him at the bar and couldn't think of much to say or ask!

Fortune was much nicer to talk to. His reunion band with some Miles sidemen from the '70s, Children on the Corner, is back on the road this summer with a live CD due for release around the same time.

Enjoy the pics!
  2. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Sonny talking to the audience.
  3. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Sonny and Rashied both going for it!
  4. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    By using an image tag. Get the URL of the attachment (right click on it, and select properties) - then edit the post and click "IMG" to put an image tag in. In the box it displays, put in the URL of the image attachment.
  5. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Moley, I can't put in a URL because these photos are on my hard drive.
  6. Click on the attachment on the original post - it will take you to where the TB site URL is storing the pic. Copy the URL, then go back and edit the original post to include the URL as an IMG.
  7. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Another couple of shots.

Here's me and Sonny Fortune. (I look about two stone fatter than I am in this photo! ) This shot is a bit out of focus - blame a slightly-drunk woman who took the photo for me!
  8. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Rashied Ali sitting next to me.
  9. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Wow, LIFE-SIZED pics!

...very, very cool, Dave.

25-30 people in the bar to hear these guys. huh?
    I guess not many go for the sax/drums thing; personally, I love that stuff...Ali does seem to do his share of this sorta duo thing.

This a.m. I was checking out Tyner & Eric Gravatt going off together on a duo piece from McCoy's '70s Focal Point album. Smokin'!
  10. Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    When was that show? I am in NY and I seemed to have missed it......

Fortune is incredible. I saw him play with McCoy Tyrner and Elvin Jones about 10 years ago at Carnegie Hall. He was on fire that night!

Thanks for sharing the pics.
  11. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    I don't know what to do about the HUGE pictures I'm afraid! Internet Explorer on my machine does shrink them to fit the screen when they are fully loaded though. They are scanned in from "real" photographs and are big files (200-300kb each).

The gig was around Fri 28th Feb (although I will have to check) at a club called 'Sweet Rhythm' that wasn't very far from the Village Vanguard. They were there Fri through to Sunday I believe, and have done stints at the same club before - worth checking out next time they come back.

Although the club was pretty dead that night, the barman told me that the last time Fortune & Ali had played there, the place had been packed.
  12. You can resize the photos using any tool like paintshop, photoshop or MS Photo Editor. Here is one of them downsized to 40% of original.