Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

hey JT -- pictures?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by eli, Aug 1, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    C'mon, man -- we're DYING to see the new hollowbody...

2. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    I know Dude posted two pix over in the "Miscellaneous" forum, but they came out with kinda dark backgrounds, and it looks like the bass is black so we really can't see much...

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, i've taken a few more, i need to develop them and scan them in. i'll do that in the next few days. hopefully :D

here, check this thread out - i have some attachments linked there, as well as a few other pics. you can see the finish on the bass on the attachments - gold sparkle rules :D.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22893

4. That is o so sweet but I still like your double neck the best:D

5. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hee hee. me too. :D

6. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Hey JT, ever consider a 4-string?

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Yeah, he started out on 4 strings, several years ago. Still has them, stashed away in a closet or something.

8. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    why? i can do everything on my basses that i could do on a 4, and lots more.

9. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I'm not entirely sure if it was JT or another 7+ stringer who said this "Four Strings are like the big crayons we used in kindergarten" not exact words but the just i think. BTW-if i can ever contain my GAS long enough to save up for a Conklin New Century Tour 7 it'd fit & work quite nicely for high school bands. [weird keys, odd parts, sometimes franken parts] thats all

10. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey there, good memory :D yeah, that was me. i usually say something to the effect that "4 strings feel to me like the big crayons we used to color with in kindergarden", usually when someone says something like "4 strings were enough for xxx" and xxx is some sacred cow of the bass herd.

11. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    And what? An 8 string being the bigger more useless crown?

Anything over a 4 string's just really an overkill, IMO. You can play all the same notes really, and the 5 lower notes you get on the low b are just too low anyway. I think an open low e's too low of a note, even.

12. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    But can you play a 5 and 6 note chord on a 4 string? Mmmmnope! You can arpeggiate it, but wouldn't that get a bit tiring? Not to mention comparing a 4 string to a 7, you have quite a few more notes, 15 to be exact (assuming fret # is equal), but the difference lies in the fact that you can play higher notes without having to sacrifice sustain by playing closer to the bridge. Same note, clearer tone. Thinner perhaps, but clearer.

The low B isn't too low for me. Nor is the E. Never played an F#, but I've heard one. I think it's pretty cool, but hey, YMMV.

13. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    You can't play a 5 or 6 note chord, considering you only have 4 fingers to press frets down with. Unless you use the 4th, which generally comes out really sloppy.

And actually, speaking of that... IMO any chord that's above the 12th fret sounds horrible, on bass.

14. JT how bout a 14 string! a seven string with a set of octive string next to it!

15. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    man, i LOVE newbie bass players who spout off about how and what i should play. dude, i've been playing longer than you've been alive. go play in traffic.

and i mean that in the kindest, most loving and moderator-ly way possible. :D ;)

16. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    CE,

5 or 6 note chords, no?!?! ever heard of barre chords?

for really nice chordal work check out:

Abraham Laboriel
    Matthew Garrison

to name a couple...many more.

Abraham Laboriel even does flamenco bass.

wowzers.

fred

17. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    There's no need to be so defensive. Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion, whether you like it or not. Use however many strings you want, but don't continue the "debate" everytime someone questions your motives(directly or indirectly). You do your thing, I'll do mine, and we'll all be one big, happy family. :rolleyes:

18. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    :rolleyes:

are you paying my internet bill? no? then you'll kindly mind your own business about how i interact with people.

thanks.

as for crawlingeye being "entitled to his or her opinion", i never said that he wasn't - in fact i could care less about his _opinion_, but he made comments under the guise of "fact" that were flat out wrong, and needed correction.

there are too many people who come on this board and spout their opinions as fact, without any credibility backing it up. there are too many other people who read that crap and believe it to be gospel since they may not know better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.