Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hey kids, Here is why you should get good grades!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by PeaveyTNT, Jan 22, 2003.

1. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    USA
    Me:
    English- A
    History- B (But I had one of 3 A's on the final)
    Math- A
    PE- A
    Band- A
    Keyboarding- B or C.

All that from a person who just got by 8th grade last year.

Now, since I am doing so well this year, I have been rewarded with this:

Tommorow night, I get to play my guitar and bass as loud as I want until it is dark.

My step-dad told me I get to do that, and he is always the one to tell me to shut up.

Maybe if you do good, your parents will act like they care about your potential musical career for about 4 hours.

I love myself at times.

2. Congrats. Do it again next semester. Doing good in anything makes you feel good about yourself.

3. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Way to go! Too bad my mom won't make a deal like that with me :( She said the opposite. She'll take my bass if I don't keep my grades up :eek: She thinks I spend too much time with my bass and not enough time on homework. So I have to proove her wrong!

Well, I'm off to study! ;)

4. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    USA
    my mom is usually like that... i have never really been rewarded for grades before.

I think the reason that i am doing so much better now is because there is no pressure your freshman year. If you screw up, you have 3 3/4 years to fix it so it is really no biggy... 8th grade, you screw up and there goes high school for another year.

Also, in 8th, I was only at that middle school for 8th so I went in alone and as a n00bie. No one wanted me around. I didnt want to be around anyone.

This year, with high school, everyone is technicly new so i didnt feel like i was a loner. I didnt talk to anyone like the first couple weeks, but by week 3, i was in Blok Head! w00t!

5. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Ya know, College is cool for those very reasons..your grades don't affect your eligability to play! Well, in most cases, lol! :D
    My parents never would have taken away my instruments if I got bad grades in HS though. In fact, I got paid for good grades! I know oyu all hate me now...

6. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    USA
    Really? I get fed and get a warm bed for good grades:D

7. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    USA
    I might get some college help... I will probably go to community for 2 years to get some crap out of the way, then go to CSU Bakersfield and focus on my major.

8. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    USA
    I dont even want to go to college... They make me go to school for 13 years, then they want me to give them 15 grand a year for it?

Blow me!

Dr. Evil: What?

Show me!

9. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Sounds like you could try parlaying this into something like a Lakland Skyline to replace your Squier, hit `em up for an Eden Nemesis 4x10 with the 600W head to replace the Peavey, or both!!!! .

Then when they turn you down you can fake serious depression and lay a guilt trip on `em. It could shame them into better gear for you!

That's what "The Master" would do -

[​IMG]

10. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    USA
    No. 1, my squier is in Romania

N0. 2, I love my peavey. grr.

No. 3, my parents being the conservatives that they are dont fall for that depression, ADD, ADHD bullhickey

But it is a good plan...

11. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Wise words to all you junior high and high school kids.

Speaking as a former kid and now a Dad: you'll be amazed at how much less sh*t you'll get from your parents about almost everything if you keep your grades up.

12. I've found the opposite. My parents don't have to worry about my grades, so they nitpick over everything else. :rolleyes:

13. My parents rule. My dad is mildly conservative, but doesn't judge me on anything. My mom is a raging liberal and a half-feminist. I love my parents :D

I hate college. It sucks. It REALLY REALLY sucks. And I hate when people give me that "Wait until you get into the workplace" thing, cause they are the ones who are doing a job they don't like for 50 years cause they didn't bother to reach higher (usually), so it is their fault. I am at a school that sucks for only 4 years, and the school itself is great, just the academics and the administration are totally awful and the school is organized more poorly than my apartment.

Then I start complaining about other things...

14. Let me clarify my last post. Some, actually MANY, people are in jobs they hate because they didn't have opportunities. But some were also too lazy to not shoot higher, and thus are stuck in a stupid cubicle their whole lives and have no one to blame but themselves.

15. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    My parents used the exact same system Amadeus, however, I never got a below a C so I never really felt the pain, lol. Now that I'm college I just get food, shelter, and a few bucks for jeans every now and then.:cool:

16. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

At least you would know you qualify for a career in rock music.

:D

17. Geez, I went about it all wrong, I got A's in everything so my parents would be disappointed with anything less. Of course, I never actually had to work very hard to get good marks.

18. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    :eek: man i could cash in $70 a report card with that system. And $80 when i was taking driver's ed.

19. same right here. my parental units get upset with anything less than B+. money? ha! more like "make that A- an A next time."

20. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I seems to always just squeak by :( But I'm trying harder this semester. I really want to be more than a C D F student. But I play my music as loud as I want anyway... I have an apartment with neighbors who crank **** rap. So I play bass really loud in return.