Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hey Kids, Time to Play NAME THAT EFFECT!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by basegetar, May 24, 2002.

1. Uhh, OK I'm just curious about this one, this effect can be heard on two tracks that I know of, "Aniema" by Tool and "Internal Primates Forever" by Mudvayne. It's hard to describe how it sounds or when it's very apparent, but when they go higher and nail a dyad really hard it makes a weird growly synthy sound... but not like a synth. Hopefully you know these songs and know what I'm talking about, if not I sound crazy. Thanks.

2. when in Aenima does this happen? on bass?
    might be Justins whammy but i am almost positive that Rynovichawushahsmfwhosawhatever from Mudvayne doesnt really use any effects apart from compression and an occasional chorus... maybe thats what it is.

3. Justin kicks this effect on right after Manyard says, "Moms coming back to put it back the way it outta be."

4. Unfortuantly I don't have any Mudvayne on hand, I had their album before someone stole it... I don't miss Mudvayne that much but their bass was cool, and I remeber Internal (Eternal? I forget...) Primates Forever having this kind of effect. Maybe it's Chorus... if so I've earned a new respect for bass chorus, I thought it could only be used in the way that Justin uses it in 46&2, which is cool, but only for laid back lines like 46&2's intro.

5. i am almost sure there is no effect there except for some basic eq. there may be a very light chorus but then again since its tool there usually always is a light chorus. i really dont hear anything unusual in there though.

6. JP Bassman

JP Bassman

Jun 18, 2001
    Jersey/DC
    im listening right now and im pretty sure theres no special effects being used, just the same tone throughout the entire song

i could be wrong

7. I know his tone does change during that musical break... errr I don't know... I don't know jack about tone.

8. JP Bassman

JP Bassman

Jun 18, 2001
    Jersey/DC
    i dunno, and excuse the pun, maybe im jsut tone deaf, but im 99% sure his tone doesnt change at all, especailly in that breakdown...i know adam jones' changes significantly, probably a distortion or something, but i can hear the bass (haha, maybe im jsut hearing things now) and it clearly stays the same, i dunno

maybe im wrong

jayp

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Ryan Martinie (Mudvayne) doesn't use effects. It's his technique. He's pretty good at what he does. If you check Severed, he makes it sound like a Fretless, even though it's a fretted, and in Prod, he does some very cool stuff around the 3:00 mark that manages to sound very Arabic, all without the use of effects.

10. it's a little something called technique appearently, maybe they can help you there...

11. the guy from mudvayne used a fretless on a few songs on that ablume

12. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    martinie has a fretless lined warwick fiver on the live dvd, that sound is just the fretless mwah when he hits that dyad.

13. Ehh I wish I could point these blurps of noise out... AHHH!!! I really don't think it's technique, but the whole fretless thing does sounds like it a maybe... in fact I'm pretty sure it explains Ryknows thang. As for justin... fretless effect? does he have anything like that, because I know that song doesn't have fretless bass in it... the funny thing is, at first I was just curious... now it's buggin' me :(

14. electricdemon3

electricdemon3

Jul 28, 2000
    I took a listen to the part you were talking about and didn't hear any chorus. However, there are a few things that comes to mind, and I think I hear what you are talking about. At the musical break, there are parts where he plays power chords on bass. He plays them real hard.

I know when I play chords real hard with a pick, it can make them sound slightly out of tune, causing a chorusy effect. I also hear a lot of compression going on and the bass may even be slightly distorted when he plays hard at that part.

Maybe the natural change in tone because of playing harder could be percieved as chorus. And finally, one thing I notice myself is that when you have brand new strings on a bass, it can sound chorusy when you play chords because of how rich the harmonics are with brand new strings.

Anyway, I could be way off but those are the only things I could guess that you are hearing.

15. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Chords + tube overdrive.

16. its his sansamp, when he plays harder you're able to hear the overdrive on the bass.

17. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    ...uh, He doesn't use a SansAmp...that's just the Ampeg going full bore...(I was reffering to Ryan Martinie...not Justin Chancellor...)

18. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    He uses a Mesa, not an Ampeg. And I think at that point in time he did use a SABDDI.

19. snoogin

snoogin

Jun 15, 2002
    Sioux city Iowa
    It's the Wal's ton and his technique.

20. i know he uses the tech 21 pedal and a wal.i dot know when he started and some of the werid sounds on the new ablum are mad from him just turning a knob on his bass sounds like a whammy but its not.