Hey look, an mp3 of my band!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Gard, Feb 10, 2002.

1. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
  2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Sounds good through my computers speakers. Very professinal sounding production. I'm not into lantin music so excuse me if I say it reminds me of the limited songs I know of Santata. I really didn't hear the bass too much because it late & I don't wanna put it to loud & wake the kids.

3. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sounds good through my studio monitors as well. Great production, very open-sounding. The bass isn't too prominent in the mix, but it has the low end for itself and lends excellent support to the other instruments. The song is a bit too "poppy" to keep up my interest, but that's just me.

You've got great tone, and it's a solid performance... nice work! :)
  4. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Very sweet, Gard. Good tone, well played. I like the song, and the singer's got a great voice. Quite a bit like Santana during his heyday.
  5. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Thanks for the nice comments guys!

I think you would actually like the band live, we're a LOT more aggressive. Even on the CD, that's probably one of the most "radio-friendly" tunes.

The production work was done by George Spatta (who also co-produced), who has engineered stuff by many "big-name" acts: Brittny Spears, Backstreet Boys, LFO. He's got great ears, and tells the best jokes in the business.

BLINKY -

Wow....you like me, you really like me! ;)

I just wish I'd gotten my NS Design EUB before we recorded that tune (and a couple others) on the CD, I think it fits the tune better.

The singer, Freddy, in addition to having a great voice is a genuinely nice guy. It's joy to work with a singer that doesn't suffer from LSD! :D

The only problem with playing a mixture of latin and rock music is the inevitable comparison to Santana...sigh...I don't think we sound any more like Santana than U2 sounds like the Police! Mind you, being compared to Santana is quite a compliment, it's just a bit tiresome after the 1412345625767th time! :p:)

We're going to hopefully have a few more tunes up on the site given some time, keep checkin'. Oh, and listen again with some volume, the bass is there! ;)
  6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Great song, TARD, very listenable but not blatantly commercial.

Great tone, and your groove is perfect for the song. I can't wait to hear some stuff with the bass a little more prominent though.
  7. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Wow, that was some of the lousiest bass playing I've heard in a really long time. No feel, no groove, plain - were you even in tune????? And who wrote that song!!!

Just kidding of course. I can't download stuff off of mp3.com for some reasons - my realplyer gets in the way somehow. I'd love to hear it if ever you send mp3s to people you can add me to the list - nervemail@aol.com. I really want to start listening to others on talkbass, specially since I saw what it was like to have nobody listen when you post an mp3.
  8. Hey Gard, I really like that MP3! It sounded great on my crappy computer speakers too.

I didn't think you guys sounded like Santana at all, either. Had a completely different feel for me than that. :D

Hope to get to hear you gyys live one day soon!

9. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Nice work Gard.
    I was impressed.
    Do you have any Puerto Rican or Cuban in you?
  10. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    PHLEGM -

Thanks, cuz.

Joe -

You're the only one here with good ears apparantly, I thought it sucked too! ;)

Lisa -

I know I know...it's latin rock, the comparisons are inevitable. Sigh. Well, at least we're compared to a great band! Atlanta is in the near future, y'all will know when it's a done deal!

No, I don't swing that way! ;) (if you don't get it, don't ask!!! :eek: )

Zulu, naw, I'm a mutt, but no latin in the mixture:

Welsh, German, Polish, Seminole Indian

I did grow up in Nawlins, and that had a profound and positive effect on me in respect to latin grooves. Listen to a second line (Bo Diddley beat), it's a son clave, just with everyone playing it! I just had to learn to play everything BUT the clave....

Thanks for the compliments, y'all, they're greatly appreciated coming from fellow lowlifes. :D
  11. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Spooky. Darn, I thought I'd get ya on that one. One of us has to get off this wavelength.
  12. Cool! Be sure to give us some notice, that way if it ends up being in the middle of the week I can arrange to go to work late the next day!

13. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    You'll know right after I do for sure. I'm not repeating the experience from the fall, when we had it all lined up and it fell apart (one more thing to thank our friend Osama for! :mad: ).

Hey, and you guys can bug Dave Siff for a preliminary review, he's coming down on vacation next week and will be catching one of our gigs! :D