Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hey look! Another Tapping Thread!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by TheFrizzleFry, Jul 17, 2001.

1. TheFrizzleFry

TheFrizzleFry Guest

Nov 21, 2000
    Stinktown, Pa, USA
    I know how much you guys loving tapping threads, so I started another one up. But in all seriousness, this kinda went unanswered in the other threads, what are some cool tapping songs? Reminder, I'm a beginner, Wooten and Stu Hamm aren't exactly the style I play in. And I know Claypool does a lot, but remeber, I'm sticking with 4 strings for a while (me and my 5 string aren't talking to each other currently). So, something cool, but beginner.

2. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    these arent very hard and there all primus

dmv (its not that hard really)
    bobs party time lounge
    here come the bastards
    mrs blaileen
    defy the laws of tradition

thats all i can think of now

3. Linus and Lucy, by Stu Hamm

Moonlight Sonata, by Stu Hamm

4. TheFrizzleFry

TheFrizzleFry Guest

Nov 21, 2000
    Stinktown, Pa, USA
    So this is beginner tapping? Wow, I'm in trouble. Though that does kick ass that Stu Hamm did Moonlight Sonata, probably my favorite Classical song.

And I don't think mrs blaileen is tapping, I'm pretty sure. And I KNOW To Defy The Laws of Tradition and Here Come The Bastards isn't tapping. I think your thinking of strumming (whatever the technical term for that is). Tapping ala Claypool is DMV, Jerry was a Racecar Driver, etc.

5. TheFrizzleFry

TheFrizzleFry Guest

Nov 21, 2000
    Stinktown, Pa, USA
    Question: Melvin didn't start this thread, how the hell did he end up in front of me?

6. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    i know how did i get above your post?

in to defy the laws of tradition i mean that little part where les is saying "to defy the laws of tradition..." blah blah blah, and in here come the bastards the the very start is tapping and then the it goes to flamenco after you slap the E. and the high notes in mrs blaileen are tapped, i think, i havent listened to that cd for ever.

but learn dmv its not hard and it drops jaws

7. TheFrizzleFry

TheFrizzleFry Guest

Nov 21, 2000
    Stinktown, Pa, USA
    Yeah sorry about that Melvin, I've had to explain this before, I talkbass late at night, and I'm always dumb when I'm tired. After I posted my reply I sat and though, "Wait a minute, in the chorus of to defy, he's doing just a random tapping thing... oh well" then I was like "Wait a minute, Here come the bastards intro is kinda tapped, he's just slammin' his hand down on E way down on the fretboard... oh well" But anyhoo, Mrs. Baileen isn't tapped, I know he's strumming on that (I hope so) and DMV is a 5 string song. (I know he plays it on a 6 fretless, but he doesn't touch the c string) and it isn't terribly complicated. But he does groove with it alot which is awesome.

8. Here's a tapping lick my teacher taught me: (sorry I can't post musical notation here JT, gonna have to stick with tab! :D)
    The E and G strings are played with your left hand, A and D with right...

G:----------12-----
    D:-------14----14--
    A:----14---------14 X4
    E:-12--------------

G:--------11-----
    D:-----12----12--
    A:---12--------12 X4
    E:-10------------

G:--------9-----
    A:---12--------12 X4
    E:-8------------

G:--------7-----
    A:---12--------12 X2
    E:-6------------

9. traktor

traktor

Jul 22, 2001
    Weed, California
    U.S. Manager for Mobius Megatar Touch-Style Basses
    If you're interested in learning two-handed tapping, there is a free method book showing how to play basslines with simultaneous rhythmic chords available for download on the site of the company I work for.
    The method is surprisingly easy to learn, and applies to instruments with several different tunings. You do need to have at least six strings to really use this method effectively.
    You can download a free copy of this method book from http://www.megatar.com/documents/
    The free method book is called "Easy Touch-Style Bassics -- the Rapid Route to 'Rhythm Bass' and More"
    Hope you find this info to be of interest!

10. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    Tapping is definately the most underrated bass technique. I'm the only bass player I know who actually takes tapping seriously and practices it without messing around. You can actualy do very nice stuff with tapping and it's not all Billy Sheenan 64nd notes flurries - interesting chord shapes can be played that are impossible to play fingerstyle.

I guess what discourages people from doing it is that it's so rare and takes a bit of woodshedding to get notes to sound right. Damn shame though, tapping is darn fun.

/lovebown

11. You arent the only one ;-) Tapping is a big part of what I do.

12. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    Personally I think tapping is pretty cool I find it works best when playing with a three piece so when the g**tarist starts to solo its a great way to keep the 'fullness' of the band sound (you can lay down the bass line and tap chords at the same time) I've lost track of the number of people who've come up to me after gigs wondering where the keyboards were.

The only problem I have and it probably comes down to technique is that when I tap above the 12th fret I get 'overtones' ie instead of just the note sounding there are other tones coming through as well (I originally thought this was due to the low action on my neck but every other bass I've tried gives me the same effect)..anyone else experience this? and if so is there any way to compensate for it?

13. Well you can do the Victor Wooten technique and use a hair tie. That is the wasiest way, but I feel is limiting.
    It has alot to do with your attack and where you are tapping (right on the fret or far behind it). I use a combination of left hand and right hand muting techniques to stop the overtones from resonating, I have also developed techniques that allow the use of overtones to my advantage.

14. traktor

traktor

Jul 22, 2001
    Weed, California
    Let's say you tap a note right at the 12th fret. As your finger taps the string against the fret, a vibration rolls longways down the string and hits the bridge saddle and rolls back, and touches the string still pressed against the fret and rolls back and forth and back and forth, and slowly the audible note dies out as the vibration dies out. It's like tying a rope to a tree, then stretching the rope almost tight, and then shaking the rope. With a rope you can see the wave travel to the tree and come back.
    This is all happening rather fast. As you lift your finger off the fret, the moving vibration can now fly all the way down to the nut and back. Your finger is deadening it in the middle, but that's just the way you go about intentionally creating a harmonic -- for example you touch the the string at the 12th fret while you pick the string.
    One way to stop this from happening is to have a string deadener somewhere between your finger and the nut. Good string deadeners include: a silk tie, a strip of fuzzy velcro, fuzzy dice hairy material, chamois leather, thick felt, or (the best) a strip of the rubbery stuff sold at the hardware store as a shelf liner so plates won't move around.
    To interfere as little as possible with your playing, you install the sound deadener between the nut and fret number one. Either run the material beneath the strings, or weave it over and under, or do both.
    Now when you tap and let go the note will die instead of turning into a harmonic.

15. David-Adler

David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    Hey,

my favorite Tapping line is in the Middle of "Metropolis Part 1: The Mirracle and the Sleeper" by Dream Theater. Does anyone have a tab of it ?

A good line to start with is this one (got it from active bass) :

Start with this line, and tap it with your left hand, try tapping it without look at the fretboard:

G |----------------------------------------|
    D |----------------------------------------|
    A |----------------------------------------|
    E |-5---3---1---1--3----------------------|

when you can tap it comfordably tap this line with your right hand

G |----14----------16------------17------17--16|
    D |14-----14--14------14---15------15----------|
    A |----------------------------------------------|
    E |----------------------------------------------|

then try them together, to get something like this:

G |------14--------16-------17-----17----16--|
    D |---14---14---14---14--15--15--------------|
    A |--------------------------------------------|
    E |-5----------3---------1-------1-----3------|

Actually, Active Bass has some very very nice lessons for that.
    BTW, I love tapping, and by now, I´m getting more and more into it !

David

16. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    <b>One way to stop this from happening is to have a string deadener somewhere between your finger and the nut</b>

Cool I'd actually heard of doing this (using a hair tie) but it never occured to me to try this while tapping

Nice one.

17. Yeah , that´s right , tapping is often underrated, but i just love it.
    For beginers (like me:) there´s a german band called Guano Apes, that has 3 musics in the 1st album, that the bass player does some cool tapping stuff, (the musics are: "We use the pain";"suzie"; and the bonus track). Try playing it.

Les claypool is a great tap player, but Stu Hamm and Billy Sheehan are the masters.

For David-Adler , go to www.DreamTheater.net and get the tab from metropolis Pt1, but i warn you it´s really difficult:) I don´t know how to play it perfectly, but i try.

Take some Taping lessons at http://www.basslessons.com/

18. traktor

traktor

Jul 22, 2001
    Weed, California
    On my personal site is a Shockwave jukebox containing a dozen songs done by tapping, all by different musicians, and in different styles. This was done several years ago, before MP3 format, but if you've got shockwave it should work.
    For each song, info is given on how you can get the CD direct from the artist, if interested. The songs are some of my favorites, chosen because they're in different styles, but show good mastery of the technique.
    If you've got shockwave, you can play the Juke Box. Go to the main site at http://www.traktor.com and then follow the Shockwave link to the Juke Box link. Hope you find this as interesting as I do ...

19. Hey that's Teed Rockwell in your avatar isn't it? He's just sick!

20. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Hey, Teed is great. I took a couple of lessons from him.