Hey look, Gard's gotta CD out!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Gard, Jun 21, 2001.

1. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Hey y'all!!

Well, my band has finally gotten our CD finished and ready for public consumption, so...(JO, if I'm outta line "advertising" here, just tell me!)

There are mp3 samples of the entire CD at:

It's a latin rock (think Santana-ish) thing, some very good songs on it, and an excellent band (well, the bassist is...uh...OK ;) ). The tunes that are my favorites are "Don't You Worry About A Thing" (cover - Stevie Wonder), "Tell Me", "Elena Mi Cariño", "El Cayuco" (cover - Tito Puente Sr, and Jr sings on it! :D) and "Naked Eye", but they're all good (at least I hope ya think so :) ).

If anyone's interested in getting a copy, e-mail or PM me and I'll hook you up! The CD's are selling for $15 + $3 for shipping (in the US, international orders I'll have to do on a one at a time basis). I wish I could just give 'em away to everyone, but we are deeply in debt from making the CD and need to get SOMETHING out of each one.

Let me know what ya think!!!
  2. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Yeah! The new Tito Puente, Jr. CD is out!!! Their bass player kicks a$$!

I'll PM you shortly Gard for my copy!

3. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Uh...heh....actually, it's not a Tito Puente, Jr. CD. It's a Rico Monaco & Sol Sons CD. He just hires RM&SS to back him on gigs. Although, now there's noise about him using us for some stuff on his eventual CD too :cool:.

Oh, and the proper spelling for "sucks" is "sucks" not "kicks" :eek: ;).

Thanks for the support, jazzbo! :D
  4. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    My bad! Rico Suave is just as good I'm sure.

Sorry about the typo, I'd hate to confuse you. ;)
  5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Gard - Congrats, BIG time!!! You already know I think it's teriffic from the email we exchanged on my having to learn some Latin music. Your bass playing is deservedly upfront in the mix on some cuts. Who says a white boy can't play the tumbao???

Unless your engineer was already familiar with all the percussion, I would think the mixdown ate up a bunch of $tudio time.

I hope you guys can market out of state and out of country as well as in. There are big Latin markets in places most people wouldn't expect, like Virginia Beach, VA and Denver, CO.
  6. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Oh sorry, that was me. It was a moment of weakness and I was feeling bitter. It won't happen again.
  7. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    That's great. I wish you much success.
  8. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Think it's funny?? Well, IT IS!!! But ol' Rico is gettin' a weeeeee bit tired of that one, I'm afraid....

....for another good laugh, check out this review in a local O'do weekly:

Hey, any press is good, right??? He got over the headline.... ;)

Oh, and you can't confuse the confused, because the first confusion will be cancelled out by the second confusion, is that too confusing? :confused:
  9. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Rick -

Thanks for the kind words. I do the best I can, thankfully the real latin musicians in the band are exceptionally talented and very helpful. Without their guidance, I doubt it would sound so good. I'll give those in the proper place your suggestion of places to attempt to market the CD, it's greatly appreciated. I know we're gonna be spreading it all over France and Italy over the next few weeks, so we're definitely going "international" to at least some degree.

jazzbo -

Don't worry, I know the truth... ;)

(what's a tumbao? :p)

Turock -

Thanks for the good wishes. :)
  10. Orco87

Mar 26, 2000
    I'm listenin' to the samples right now, they sound real good man! Congrats on the publicity and may good things happen to ya. It's cool that one of our own at TB is gettin' in the studio and stuff. It makes the rest of us look pretty darn good! :D :cool:
  11. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    Very good Gard, I like it.
  12. JimK

Dec 12, 1999

Huh?! I've lived here in Va. Beach/Norfolk since the mid-'60s...Va. Beach a "big Latin market"?!
    C'mon, Rick, you're makin' my stomach hurt! ;)

...I'd be interested in a cd; e-mail me some details!
  13. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Y'all got snaked! The first TB'er to own an original first-edition Rico Monaco & Sol Sons CD is....(drumroll please):

The lucky winner happened to stop in to visit us at Bass Central today and snagged a copy. ;)

I don't expect we'll ever hear from him again...he was putting the disc in his rental car's CD player as he drove away, poor guy.....I do hear they're getting much better at psychological therapy these days though, so there may be some hope for his recovery!!! :eek: :)

Thanks again to all for the interest and good wishes!!!
  14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yes indeedy ... this is a strictly pro band. I put in the CD and rocked all the way back to the hotel. Then when all the troops (daughter, wife, and in-laws) got in the car we all listened to it, and it got widespread approval (but not universal ... my in-laws' musical tastes are not particularly eclectic). However, my daughter loves it and wanted to see Gard's picture on the back cover of the case. You've got a couple of major fans, man.

The front of the case has the bare back of a (presumably) young lady on it. No offense, Gard, but the next time, the model should take her bra off at least an hour before picture time ... it lets the lines go away. Other reasons too. I read that somewhere.

But this is about music isn't it? All the music has a Latin feel to it, with some very tasty lead guitar breaks here and there. Gard's work is superb, with licks here and there, but never losing the groove. Gard let me play the Zon he recorded with. Now I'll NEVER wash my hands, even before playing bass.

I like the same tunes Gard listed, especially "Don't You Worry 'Bout a Thing." The vocals are first-rate. The lead vocalist has a slightly thick voice, kinda like the male version of Gloria Estefan. It works well with the Latin style. Great horns on backup, too.

I noticed in the liner notes that all the Latino members have nicknames like "Scientist," "Velvet," "Professor," and "CLDS". Gard is just Gard. What's the deal on that? Maybe it could be Gard "MoFo" Lewis.

All in all, it was a grand experience there at BC. I played a lot of cool basses, but didn't have time to check out all the amps and cabs. I just plugged into an Eden Metro ... good enough for me, eh? I did get to play through an EBS MultiComp and their other effects, which was fun, but not necessary for what I do. Lessee, some of the basses were Gard's Zon Sonus 5-string, his Guitar factory sixer (yes, my hands are too stubby), his NS upright 5-string (bitchen) ... what'd I miss? I also played a Lakland 55-94 fretless like mine, only with roundwounds (it makes a big difference in mwah factor), Warwick Infinity 2000 (truly bitchen, but how do they make a hollowbody just as heavy as their solids?), Lakland Hollowbody (bitchen, MOTL), Alembic something-or-other fiver (funky Q-tron electronics, or something), and, oh yes, a Fodera Imperial Elite Mondo Monarch, or something. Whoa! I must say that the Fodera was a mighty fine sounding bass. Real rich-sounding bass. But for about $6K list, it'd better be.

Well, I felt compelled to buy something, so I ended up getting their only Under Cover two-bass case. Boy, I felt so cool, walking through the terminal with that case on my back. I'm sure everybody thought I was headed over to Nashville for a few sessions. They probably couldn't figure out why I was pushing that little girl around in the stroller, though. I tried to hang back, but my wife wasn't buying it. Oh well, more later.
  15. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Munji -

Thanks, you're too kind....me a "MoFo"??? :eek:

By the way, just to set the record straight, I didn't record the CD with the Zon, I just got that recently and use it live. I did the recording with the Guitar Factory fretless 6, what a sweet sounding bass :D!

Glad to hear your daughter dug it, gotta start 'em young! ;) S'ok about the in-laws, you can't please everyone, I guess.

Freddy will be flattered by your comparison of him to Gloria, she's one of his favorites! As for nicknames, I kinda have an unofficial one I guess, Rico calls me "Habeñro" at times, y'know like a hot pepper, not sure why, I think because if you say "Gardeñro" it sounds similar?

Glad you dug the basses (both mine and BC's), there are some amazing basses there. You're right about the Fodera, killer bass, but for that price, it'd BETTER be! ;) Hope you like the gigbag as much as I like mine....