Hey Man Nice Shot

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, Jul 8, 2002.

1. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I haven't listened to Filter in a while, so last night I decided to pull out my Filter CD. Listening to HMNS made me think. A friend of mine once told me that Nice Shot was about this politician that once had to offer a public apology, but pulled out a gun and shot himself up at the poduim instead. Is that true?
  2. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Gee, I hadn't heard that story! That is my favorite Filter song. Your friend may be right, but that story is so extraordinary, it seems as if such an event would have made national headlines and been all over the tabloids.
  3. Supposedly the song is about Kurt Cobain's suicide.
  4. there was a guy who blew away his head with a shot gun on tv that was a politician .that the cover of the frist cky cd
  5. kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    actually, i heard this story too, exept the way i heard it, the politition used a blank, i forget why, but he watyed to shock the crowd but no tkill himself. well, he apparently didn't know much about guns, (or physics for that matter) and the gasses that are rapidly expelled from the muzzle of a fired gun, blank or not, can still kill you if held close enough, and he held it close, and it killed him. i don't know if this is what the song was written about, i jsut know the story, and it was live on TV too. very messy sight.
  6. The song is about Bud Dwyer... He was a Pennsylvania State Politician (treasurer I believe) who called a press conference and then commited suicide in front of the people and also a TV audience. The guy who wrote the song said he was sick of people thinking it was about Kurt Cobain because it was written before Cobain's death. But of course that is the more popular story.

If you think you can handle it, the video of Dwyer's suicide is floating around the internet, as well as plenty of stories about it.

7. i've seen the video. it's pretty crazy.
  8. BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    whoa, never heard about it. I've seen plenty of nasty and sick crap on videos on the net, but never seen that one.
  9. Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    Blood like a fountain! Not for the faint of heart. That song was written exclusively about R. Bud Dwyer...the press conference was called because he was embezzling money from the state. He had the gun(a REAL one w/REAL bullets)in a manila envelope. He tells the reporters at the conference that what he has in the envelope will answer all their questions. He pulls the gun out, sticks it in his mouth and proceeds to blow his brains out through the back of his head. The reporters were stunned! I think I heard the F-word more times in that short video than the entire "Goodfellas" movie.
  10. yeah that was i was thinking.the cover for the frist cky ablume is a cartoon of that.when u look at u cant even tell then you look closer there it it.cky if u didnt know is not that bad of band from Pennsylvania so i know get why they did it.in the frist cky video the have a little cartoon makig fun of it.
  11. omg i was board and got the video.its black and white,i got it cause i couldnt belive it
  12. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Thanks for clearing that up jnprather. I've always wondered that, but I wasn't sure if it is true.
  13. Not quite, sinde IIRC the song came out AFTER cobains suicide.
  14. grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Yes the song was about Bud Dwyer. I actually saw an uncensored video of the actual news conference that was filmed off to the side of the podium and it showed the entire thing and even zoomed in on the body as it slumped against the wall. Very Graphic and unsettling. This was news footage provide to a local media person.