Hey man..that's one COLD bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassman134, Jan 17, 2003.

1. Hey there....

Quick and dirty.... I have Band rehearsal after work right near the office, so I have to keep my 'ray 5 in the truck all day. With the temps dipping in the teens here in Jersey I was wondering what the impact to my axe would be...other than playing a really cold neck at rehearsal.

One idea I had is to put a Hot pack in the accessories compartment of the case, not dirctly touching any part of the instrument hopefully keeping the general temp of the case above freezing.

What do ya think?

2. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Is there any way you can bring you bass in with you when you go to work. Ideally you'd want to keep your bass free from any drastic changes in temperature. Wood will expand and contract, like other substances, when exposed to heat and or cold which over time can screw with the set-up of your bass.

Just my .02
  3. eshears

eshears Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2001
    Spokane, WA
    I agree...if there's any possible way to bring the bass inside, do it. I learned this lesson the hard way awhile back, and ended up with a bass with a un-repairable twisted neck.
  4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Keeping you bass in your trunk is such a BAD idea that eshears had to warn you twice!!!!! ;):p

Bring it in with you to work. You should be traveling with it in the trunk anyway!!!! Keep it it the truck with you.

My basic rule of thumb is don't put you bass where you wouldn't wanna be. You wouldn't want to be in a trunk all day, would you? :)
  5. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Also, if it spends any significant amount of time exposed to the cold, it's a good practice to give it a good 10 or 15 minutes to acclimate (sp?) itself to the room temperature before opening the case.
  6. BassAxe

Jul 22, 2002
    Culpeper, VA
    Might I add that leaving your bass out on the beach or in a strip club while you are at work is not recommended. :p
  7. Thanks for the advice guys... Well taking the Bass into the office isn't an option I work at a customer site. I've decided tonight(was a rehersal night) that I am going to leave my second bass ( a Peavey TL-5) at my guitar players house for rehearsal until the spring when it gets warm again. I'd rather play the 'ray over the TL, but I really dont want to damage my Bass.... <p>Unless someone can think of plans for a heated case that keeps the instrument at a constant temp... Hmm maybe if I buy a couple pairs of battery powered heated socks line the case with em......... Na I'll just leave it home..lol

8. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    We've got the opposite problem here in Oz. The winters aren't too cold but the Summers are scorching. The case for my 'ray is all lumpy and bubbled coz I left it in the car for a couple of hours (stupid me). Ths bass is OK but I won't leave it in the car anymore. Interesting that no-one mentioned the theft factor.
  9. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002