Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hey Michael!!!

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by Skerik1, Sep 2, 2003.

1. Skerik1

Skerik1

Sep 21, 2002
    Saint Paul, MN
    This isn't really a Technique or Theory question, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Since you're into chordal playing and such, I was wondering if playing a bass with more frets has ever crossed your mind.

You've helped me A LOT with my own chordal approach to the bass, and I'm getting a bass from Darrin Huff with 29 frets. My thinking is that the higher frets (and the possibilty of tuning it ADGC) would give me more range and versatility.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks!
    --Matthew

2. Skerik1

Skerik1

Sep 21, 2002
    Saint Paul, MN
    Here's a shot of its progress so far...

[​IMG]

--Matthew

3. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Matthew,
    First let me congratulate you on the new bass. It looks stunning. I am also very glad that my work has somehow helped your playing.

I think that the abilty to extend your range, whether by frets or strings is a great tool. I use the word tool on purpose. The amount of strings or frets you have does not necessarily make your music any better or one a better player. It just gives you the opportunity to really expand, as you say, your range and versatility. That is always a good thing. Michael Manring's Hyperbass (3 octave neck) and Randy Coven's Zimmerly Bass have extended range fretboards. I too have looked into it, but I am not sure why I have not gone that route. I did however just order a 5 string (E,A,D,G,C, in part, for the same reason that you did.

As you start playing that stunning new bass, keep in mind one question, "Is what I am doing musical?"

Thanks for sharing the pics, please post more when the bass is finished

Mike

Mike

4. Skerik1

Skerik1

Sep 21, 2002
    Saint Paul, MN
    Thanks for the quick respsonse!

I should be getting some update snapshots of her by the end of the day! :)

--Matthew

5. Skerik1

Skerik1

Sep 21, 2002
    Saint Paul, MN