Hey Mike and Steve,

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by Linearends, Nov 25, 2004.

1. Linearends

Nov 5, 2004
    Hows it goin guys,
    I went to see the show in Brighton about a week ago and i have to say i never expected it to be as good as it was! The venue was tiny! There was no more than 75-100 people in there and it was awesome. I have never had the pleasure of seeing you guys play before. If you remember me i was sitting on one of the front tables with a stupid bastard grin painted across my face(hard not to when your jaw is stuck to the table). I also have to say i didnt expect for you guys to be so friendly and un-celebrityish. It was cool. i got a photo with each of you and that was cool. Mike was also extra nice to give me the album 'The book of flame' for FREE when i bought the dvd. That was very cool(and i'm happy to say that i am loving them both especially 'The enormous room' on the dvd. Steve, your set was really good, i was almost crying when i heard the first notes of grace and gratitude. I didnt expect you recreate your tone so accurately live. I guess its the modulous basses that are providing sweet tone, i reckon i might try and afford one in the future! Mike, you set was astounding! I actually laughed out aloud when you played monkey business. That was brilliant. I forgot to ask one question which was on my mind. How much Practice do you guys do on a daily basis and if not anymore how much when you were at the height of your woodshedding days?
    Again thanks for playing such a good gig, that was one of best life experiences ive had yet!!!!
  2. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Hi Brian,

Thanks so much for coming to the show and for the kind words. As I recall, you traveled quite a long way for the gig -- we very much appreciate your trouble and that’s why I figured you were entitled to a little discount!

When I was in my twenties I went through a phase of trying to practice as much as possible. I managed sometimes to put in 16 hours a day, but found that it did me more harm than good. What seems to work best for me is something between 2-6 hours a day, but with all the demands of being a hard-working musician, these days I usually only get an hour or two a day.
  3. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Hi Brian,

I'm really glad you enjoyed the gig - that was a great night, and I hope to come back and play the venue again soon!

As for practice, like Michael, I don't get as much time to practice as I'd like, and some days I don't get to do any, which is a big frustration. Ideally, I'd like to be about to do 2-3 hours a day, but usually it's about an hour, sometimes two... I'm hoping to get some focussed practice in over the Christmas holidays, as I've not got many gigs booked so have time to try out some new things... :)

see you soon,