Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hey, Mike N! (And other car guys)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mike Money, Oct 18, 2004.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I need a new car. At the moment, I drive my stepdads 86' Toyota (Tacoma?)... It is an awsome vehicle... No problems, and is 4x4 for when I feel like being stupid, but I can't/dont want to drive it forever.

I will be getting a job next semester, so I will have no excuse not to buy my own/be paying for my own car. (My mom wanted me to do a band thing at school which left me with no free time, so I couldn't exactly have a job, do the band thing, and shuffle school.)

I want an El Camino/Ranchero type thing. Something kinda classic... ish. Something that has space, and is cool, and runs good and yada yada.

So, can ya'll give me the info on these fine pieces of machinery, and other things that may interest me? (I love chick-car hatch backs for some reason [Mazda 4 5-door])

2. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    The Ranchero is a sweet ride!

This looks like a good place to start.

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I like el caminos because performance mods are very easy. Depending on where you live, you could drop in a carbureted 305 or 350 and a turbo 350 trans quite easily. This is what I have thought of doing with a newer mid 90's style chevy truck. But my trans would have to be a 700R4. But anyways, you might consider something a bit different. With the way gas prices are looking, and your Cali residency, you may consider something like a saturn, or some similar vehicle. The reason why I advocat a saturn is that they are still easier to work on than most front wheel drive cars. Not easy, but easier. If you do your own work, this is good, and if you don't, it usually makes for cheaper repairs.

4. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I like ElCamino's so much I've got two of them, a 68 SS396 and a plain jane 85. I'm not much for the F**d version, though.

Being in Southern California there shouldn't be a shortage of them, since your cars dont rot apart like here in the northeast. Theyre great and easy to work on/find parts for.

A few places to start would be.........

www.chevelles.com (most Chevelle clubs cover ElCamino's too)
    www.elcaminoclassics.com

5. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Sweet Elky, Mike N!

(My brother has a '68 Malibu with a pro built high performance 327 & M21/Hurst and absolutely perfect body and paint - I LOVE that car. He used to let me take it out fri & sat nights when I was a kid and the elky was stock - now he only drives it to the drag strip)

Mike Money - I also dislike most Rancheros, but El Caminos are sweet. I suggest you look for a '68 - '70 those are my favorire years. Find a nice Malibu with a '307 and Power Glide tranny and if it's not too tired, it should be very reliable and still somewhat of a hot rod by todays standards.
    Really check out the condition of the bed behind that cab - common spot for rust problems.
    Pre '68 El Kabongs are also really neat (whole different body style) but I think they might cosy you a little more on average.
    '71 or '72 is the same basic body style as the '68 - '70, just with some god awful marker lights / blinkers.
    YMMV

6. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    Having just said that, the bowtie gods proclaim you may never own an Elco.

The turquoise Geo Metro gods are screaming your name :p

7. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    Interesting thing a lot of Chevy buffs themselves don't know is the 68-72 Elco's have near perfect front/back weight distribution, it's like 49/51 back/front just like today's BMW's... making them corner shredders provided you lighten the body/unsprung weight and throw some new control arms, bushings and Koni's into the mix. Of course, bending corners too hard is never safe ;)

8. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    The '68 couldn't have been too diferent in that regard - it's the same body.

The big question in regards to the El Camino: Is that thing a car or a truck?

9. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    Fixed it, honestly hit 9 instead of 8.

IT'S A BEAST!!!! I've heard people kid around referring it as a "white trash mobile", but anyone who thinks that is a moron and certainly hasn't a clue about kick-arse hot rods. No matter who you are, there's no denying the prescence felt when a thunderous-rumbling cherry El Camino pulls up next to you. I used to have a primered 67 with a rebuilt balanced & blueprinted 327...heavy Lunati cam, Victor Jr. manifold, Doug Thorley headers, some Flowmasters.....when I would pull up next to modded WRX's and eclipse's, they would never rev or even dare pull off the light fast, and that felt just as good as if we raced & I had whooped. Well close. Funny thing is I know some of those WRX's would've done some serious damage.

10. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    If I do get lucky to get an Elco, I will be getting something like this:

[​IMG]

My grandpa has one like that. Minus the bling... So its white, all stock.

It probably needs a good tune up... Its been sitting out at a family friends junk yard/storage for years.

I'd keep it white... add a blue racing stripe, slightly pimped tires/wheels...

What kind of mileage do these toys get? What are some downfalls/mechanical issues?

11. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    You know - maybe it's really just Chevelles that I love more so than El Caminos. I can not support your interest in buying an El Camino newer than 1972.

edit - Here's a '70 for you. These are my favorites

[​IMG]

12. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    Yes, that's the Bakersfield style folks.. :p
    I can't wait until I get my Malibu, I'll absolutley be living in own city, well around my area where I live anyway. Honestly the custom car scene out here is so distorted, there's guys driving around with disgusting green 4-LEAFED CLOVER body decals, lowered accord coupes with the tear-away front body decal thing, 95 devilles with 14 inch daytons that pop out about 7 inches from the wheelwell, slammed s10's and Dakotas with the front end lifted up by airbag while driving with some weak exhaust....GET A CLUE BAKERSFIELD!!

Whoa, what happened, I just snapped out of just some hate-filled daze or something. Anyway, something interesting, The Holden Ute is basically a modern day El Camino. It hauls since it has the ls1 @ 330hp? (last time I read) and is brother to the Monaro, which is a Pontiac GTO over here.
    [​IMG]

13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    not a fan of el caminos, although the 1970 one Matthew posted a pic of is pretty cool.

-Mike

14. dude, those mid-80's toyota pickups are great trucks. if it has the 22-re motor then it will run forever if you keep up with the fluid changes.

15. Mike N

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Pointless trivia here.....the fenders from a 68 or 69 ElCamino will interchange with their respective year Chevelle, while the 70 - 72 fenders wont.

Notice in the pic of the Chevelle there's a body line running the length of the fender (roughly four inches down from the top) that the ElCamino doesnt have.

16. Mike N

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I was surprised how well mine handled on the road, and even more suprised how well it launched at the dragstrip. I replaced all the control arm bushings (front and rear), and after talking with Hotchkiss about new rear arms, decided to box my factory ones instead of going with their overly priced powdercoated ones. New springs and Monroe Gas Matics round out the package.

For the dragstrip I run airbags in the rear springs (not the Snoop Dogg bling-bling type) with 7 psi in the driver side and 15 psi in the passenger side.

I've yet to run at the track since putting the 396/M21 4 speed back in, but the el cheapo 350/TH350 combo that I used while rebuilding the 396/4 speed ran 13.50's @ 101mph. I gotta believe the 396 (if I can shift the d**m 4 speed) should run mid/high 12's.

17. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Mike

Why not look out for an Aussie FOrd Pursuit Ute:
    [​IMG]
    290KW (around 400hp) and 520NM of Torque would get you to school in a hurry.

Or otherwise a HSV Maloo UTE:
    [​IMG]

:D