Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hey, Mike N

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mike Money, Jan 3, 2005.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I broke the parking brake on el females 98 camry...

It was stuck, so i kept trying the pull up, hit button method.. and i accidently pulled out of its tracks or whatever...

Any idea how much a replacement would be, assuming AAA or whoever cant bitch-pop it out?

2. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Depends, do you know what actually broke?

There are several components in the park brake system.

3. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    i really dont think its broke... just stuck...

but since i dont know, can you give me a range?

4. Mike N

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Is the handle still stuck, or after you "pulled it out of it's tracks" does the handle just kinda flop up and down?

5. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California

The handle is stuck, and the button wont go in.

6. Mike N

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    If the "pull up the handle and push the button" trick doesn't work (try two hands, but without killing it), you may just have something jammed inside there (did anything fall down inside the console? loose change etc.....) Maybe you can look down inside the console (where the handle sticks out) and see if something is preventing it from releasing, or maybe you could take a screwdriver and manually release the ratchet.

Pricewise I'm not sure until I know what is/isn't broken.

It would be really easy for me to fix it if I could see it, but you're on the wrong side of the country. ;)

7. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    I'm pretty sure I could have gotten it with a screw driver and a bit of muscle... but none was around.

The button goes in, but the handle stays put... nothing fell in, there was nothing to fall in... can brake's have too much tension on them and just freeze?

8. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Sort of. You've just got the cable pulled as far as it'll want to go or you've run out of teeth for the handle to catch on. You can probably still (carefully!) muscle it around until it comes off the teeth that are meant to catch the handle.

Sorry for interrupting.

9. Mike N

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Park brakes can freeze, but you should still be able to move the handle down after pushing the button (just the cables would be stuck on). I would expect this on a road-salt infested car, not a SoCal Toyota.

Sounds to me like the ratchet just isn't releasing with the push of the button. I don't know whether that part of the p-brake handle is serviceable seperately, or if you would need to replace the entire handle. You should probably just "bitch pop" it out for now if you can. If you can't you may need to have the car towed, since the p-brake being stuck on will make the car not driveable.

If the gf has an extended warranty on the car, this should be covered.

10. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Hrm... some burly dude from triple A came to fix it around 9:30... I guess he wanted to go home pretty bad... apparently he grabbed that mother with two hands, loved it a little, and wah lah.

11. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Mike, don't make sick jokes about you and your guy friends....

Oh, he fixed the brakes.... OOOOOOHHHHH. NOW I get it.

12. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND

You beat me to it. :D :p

13. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    That's called broadband-powered quick wit.

14. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    First time in a long time I actually had something funny to say and you had to go and ruin it!! :spit:

:D :D

15. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    That was my good funny for the year. I don't get many. And I used it all early!!!