Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hey Modulus people...in here

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Angus, Jul 8, 2000.

1. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I noticed something on my Quantum 5 that i didnt notice before... it had a neck relief adjustment rod (not actually a truss rod, but similar). Maybe its a just mine, cuz mine is a Custom Quantum, and its not on any of the ones ive tried recently at BassNW...so i was just wondering if this is only mine. And for those of you who have said they dont like Modulus's because they dont have neck reliefe adjustment, HA! Anyway, mines got it...how about any of you guys?

2. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    Hey, MegaAngus, mine has one too, but Modulus necks are made with a very slight amount of relief built in, so adjustments aren't absolutely necessary. There is a point where if you turn it it is loose, the is sent at "no" relief, that is where mine is. Make sure if you mess with it to loosen your stings! Don't mess with it too much in one sitting...

------------------
    http://www.puddinhogs.com

3. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Hehe, no, i never mess with it, my action is perfect. But ok, yeah, just curious to see if others had it. None of the ones i tried at BassNW did! And hey, your Modulus is on my computer! I saved the front/back/headstock/whole pictures of it. Your exact one! I remember liking it, and there it is! If you dont have them, and want them, ill send them!

4. Speedbird

Speedbird Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2000
    Northern Virginia
    I custom ordered a Quantum 4 Sweet Spot last November. When it arrived this JUNE! to my suprise it did have a truss rod, but I can't remember if the one I played in the store (last year) did.

Other Questions:
    Does anybody know how Modulus numbers their serial #'s? The one on mine is "000017". My theory is they re-set the #'s this year.

I have the Lane-Poor/Bartolini 3 band eq set-up. I like the silent flexible electronoics but, to me it seems like the "bass" knob just adds SUPER-LOW bass like 40hz and while the "mid" knob adds a nice growl/rock tone it really cuts/boosts apparent volume. Anyone with similar observations or insight?

What is that tiny little pot inside the controll cavity. It sits on top of the Bartolini "box" and would need a jewlers screw-driver to adjust. I'm hoping it is a freq. center adjustment but am afraid to scrwe something up.

Thanks

5. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Hey, a new member whos a Modulus owner! Theres so few (4 of us ive seen), we should start a club!

First off, yeah, my bass knob does add quite a big of the low low bass, but its likely the Lane Poor pickups are doing the SUPER low bass part. And its a good thing you didnt get the Lane Poor Preamp...ive heard its noisy as HELL. Anyway, ive got the Bartolini 3-eq's. Id like to see what Phogchris says, hes got the EMGs. So weve got all the types covered! My mid control does give it a great rock tone, but it doesnt change volume too much.

As for serial numbers...im not quite sure. Mine is 990133. But yeah, mine took a butt load of time to get, mainly because they ruined the body the first time around replacing the EMG's with Bartolinis...so they had built the second body with a 5A (upgraded from the original 4A) quilted maple top due to the huge screwup. Which is cool.

Say, bird, whats your look like? Mines got the Black Burst finish and black hardware (all black!).

Ive got NO clue what the little pot is...i didnt bother to think about it, because my Modulus is perfect, and all i was doing was replacing the batteries.

Thanks for posting! Good to see new Moduli around here.

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Not really a Modulus guy, but judging from the first 2 digits of your serial numbers, it sounds like they start with the year made as in 99 - 1999, 00 - 2000..

Not very Y2K compliant, huh? [​IMG]

------------------
    the fabric of reality is woven from the threads of our dreams...
    bill longshort

7. Speedbird

Speedbird Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2000
    Northern Virginia
    Thanks for the feedback. I am very pleased with my Modulus, It's seems odd they are not more popular. The wait was a killer though, I saved & shopped for years to buy this bass (not to mention the "discussion" with my wife how I was going to spend $2000 on a "guitar"), only to wait 6 months for delivery. Anyway, it was well worth it, and I got EXACTLY what I wanted. In fact, I callled every single Modulus dealer in the U.S. and none had anything close to what I wanted. I ended up ordering through Guitar Villa in PA, they were very cool and had a great price. I would definitely buy from there again.
    What does it look like? Four string, single soap bar P/U(lane poor), Bartolini 3bnd eq, Granadillo fretboard (a nice dark wood with tight grain similar to PauFerro), chrome hardware & clear satin finish. I was expecting just a plain straight grain body, but was nicely suprised to receive a sweet curly maple top! Nothing fancy but just what I wanted and above all sounds awesome.
    By the way, I noticed that this is a very sensitive instrument, I just can't pull-off ANY slopy moves like I could on my Aria bass. The mistakes ring through loud and clear. I think it is the combination of the graphite neck, medium size frets & punchy tone. Regardless, the tone/sonic qualities are worth it. Not to mention all the intonation/tuning/neck problems of the past I can gladly put behind me. Currently, I am polishing my fretting technique.

RGDS,
    P.J.

8. SpectorBag

SpectorBag

Jul 12, 2000
    Im thinking of buying a Quantum 6. Ive read alot about modulus and I am very interested in the Graphite neck. Im looking to get one with Bartolini pickups and maybe an Aguilar onboard preamp. Possibly, the Oteil bass

9. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Speedbird: Awesome! I love my Modulus too, and yes, i had to clean my technique up a bit too.

SpectorBag: If you want to spend $3500+, sure. A Quantum 6 with Bart/Aguilar configuration would have to be a custom order, like mine, because the Aguilar isnt offered, or you could buy one after you buy it an install it, which would cost even more. And the Oteil bass only comes with Lane Poors, so youll have to custom order BOTH the barts and aguilar preamp with it...so be thinking about 3-5 months and $3200-$2500+. But thats great, Modulus's are AWESOME! I hope youve tried them though, because usually they are a love/hate sound.

10. SpectorBag

SpectorBag

Jul 12, 2000
    I most likely wouldnt go the custom order. I'd love to have the Bart/Aguilar combo, I might like the standard Lane Poor or EMG one just as much. I wouldnt do anything to the Oteil bass, that thing is sweet. I love the little F hole too!

11. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Whoops, i said $3200-2500+, but that should be $3200-3500+. Normally id just edit, but i want you to see that. And yeah, the Oteil bass is pretty awesome. I like the f hole quite a bit too, but im afraid id spill something in there or something!

12. SpectorBag

SpectorBag

Jul 12, 2000
    There wouldnt be any type of food or liquid going anywhere near an Oteil bass if i owned one. I would wrap it in velvet cloth, put it in its case, than put that into another hardcase and then lock it in a 2000 lb safe and never ever play it