1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hey Mom! Hey Dad! Kid-Safe Nu-Soul Please!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Sam Sherry, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    My beautiful, smart, charming daughter is 8 years old (and Black). She's just started playing acoustic guitar.

I need to find music which is kid-safe, good music, featuring acoustic guitar, played by Black women, who are on the scene now. We're not looking for historical material.

You parents know that anything which kids dig is going to get repeated many dozens of times before it burns out, so the quality is really key.

So far, she's digging India.Aire's "Journey to India" which totally nails all four. Good thing!

Your recommendations please! Take us to some unexpected places! Thanks so much.

2. Check out some of Lauryn Hills music, its very good, shes black, I believe it has guitar and generally her music is positive(though you might want to screen songs yourself). The only problem is shes not currently all that popular but in the past five years she has been. Also theres that singer Corin Bailey Rae, or you could look into the likes of Erika Badu and other slightly less popular artists. best of luck with the search for music and it sounds like your doing an excellent job parenting.

Edit: I just thought of another one, on the other side of the forum some one posted a link to a youtube video of Mandy Moore doing a softer version of the song "Umbrella" by Rihanna and if your daughter likes that song you could surely find a tabbed version of it for her.

3. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    It's not quite nu soul, but I like Anjelique Kidjo's latest CD "Djin Djin." There's a lot of great studio players and guest stars on it.

4. relacey

relacey

Sep 18, 2004
    Sam,

Check out Ruthie Foster a local (for me) girl who's finally getting some well deserved wider exposure.

Ron

5. JB Lars

JB Lars

May 24, 2000
    Chicago Suburbs