Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hey motorheads-help me find a car...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by 5stringDNA, Apr 25, 2005.

1. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Ok, unusual request- My car gets really bad milage and just doesn't hold enough equipment, like a double-bass, 2 BG's, a rig, and a few other things at once. :D
    At any rate, I am looking for a very specific car- A Chevrolet Caprice Wagon years 94-96, with the LT1 engine package. No woodies unless it's really crazy cheap. Under 150k miles. It needs to be somewhere in the midwest..lets say between illinois and california. These are not easy to find at all, but I am dead set on one, as amusing as you find it. :D I have looked through cars.com, Ebay, Autotrader, and a few other nationwide publications and can only find something in nice shape on the East coast. Every car ont eh planet is on the east coast...If you people spot anything that looks decent under $5,000, local paper, online, whatever, shoot me a line (5stringdna@bassplayer.st). Thanks in advance if oyu can help a brother out. I plan on converting it to an impala SS clone since they didn't make them in wagon form. :D

2. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Probably 'cause there is bad rust that you can't see.

3. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    East coast is definately a high rust area- my neck fo the woods only get 14 inches of rain a year and cars rust very slowly, but not as slow as arizona. Are you implying they all are rusted and those that look good are deceptive listings??

4. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Not all. I bought my '88 Ranger about 3 years ago and it had minor surface rust. But I've seen newer cars that were already complete goners.

5. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    *Calling Lemmy, Calling Lemmy Kilmeister. Y'hear me?*

:smug:

I'm not sure it it's a good idea to buy a 10-year-old car... Rust, wear, part supplies, etc.