Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HEY!!! My Pic of StewMC made an Ugly Rick list!?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LajoieT, Oct 14, 2005.

1. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    http://www.3dentourage.com/425/shame.htm

A frend of mine who just joined a Rickinbacker newsgroup sent me this link to check out some of the ugly basses that this guy has photos of. Well #2 is a shot I took of Stew and his 10 string Conklin when they passed through here last winter!!!!! He stripped off my copyright notice, not that you'd be able to read it with how much it's been scaled down, but there is no way that it belongs on this list of instruments of questionable aesthetical value... At least he didn't say any of the standard ERB bashing statements.

2. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    The guy who does that site is rather ignorant since he put the Spinal Tap guitar on it, does he not know that was the whole point of the guitar?

3. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Yeah I like a couple of these. This guy seems kinda like a jerk.

4. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Haha, that's exactly what I thought.

5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
  6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    You know, as the photographer of that particular shot, you own the copyright to the image, even without a copyright statement.

Serve him up a little (un)friendly cease & desist email. There's no way he can claim fair use.

7. LajoieT

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
  8. Unchain

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    ZING!

9. LajoieT

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Actually he cropped the copyright off of the bottom of the photo....

[​IMG]

of course it is kinda small, so even if he didn't it wouldn't be readable. (Unless he got the photo from Stew, which I doubt, since Stew and I are the only ones with the files that don't have my tag in the corner...)

10. That shot makes it look like the 10 is causing some sort of weird space-time continuum breakup, haha!

11. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    That's cool. You still own the rights.

Any work that you've created, either written, recorded or photographed, need not have a copyright notice for others to recognize that you control use of the creation. This use doesn't fall under the 'fair use' clause nor such silliness like the TEACH act that many try to hide behind.

(My day-to-day work is in copyright permissions in an academic setting, so I spend 40+ hours a week dealing with such issues)

You should have words with this jerk.

12. Unchain

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Have more than words! Just go to his house ring the doorbell and punch him in the face. He'll never use it again.

13. ashbory

ashbory

Jun 13, 2000
    The Hammer
    Anyone else notice the Bongo? :bag:

14. Unchain

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    No, actually I don't see any cool basses. :cool:

(minus the 10 string, of course)

15. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    yeah :)

16. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Oh, no, so many strings! :universe explodes:

17. LajoieT

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Yea, I'm actually a corporate/medical photographer so I'm well aware of copyright issues. I actually have no problem with him using it, so long as he keeps the e-mail address on it or otherwise credits me for it. Since I don't make a living doing band photos and did those just for kicks when Stew passed through I'm not looking to make any money off of it, but since I made it easy to contact me, I would think that asking wouldn't have been that difficult. I'm going to send him a little note asking him to put the full version up with e-mail and giving him some basic background on Stew and his recent situation. I'll let him slide on the e-mail if he'll put up a link to the Accugroove Trust Fund.

( maybe I'll send one that shot of JT with the Red Silk shirt in case he just wants to drop the shot of Stew alltogether... :bag: )

18. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    If you could get him to put up the link, that would be cool. At the very least, you should get some kind of credit/citation though.

19. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Yep :D