Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hey. Need some help deciding which bass to buy! i'm a newb. this is my first bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jazzfiend, Nov 30, 2002.

1. Jazzfiend

Jazzfiend

Nov 30, 2002
    Hey. I just started playing bass about a month ago and i'm addicted! Right now i'm in a band with a few friends and one of my friends has lent me his pbass. The band isn't going to last long, but i still would love to continue this instrument. For you see, i am hooked. I have about 400-500 dollars to spend on a bass, and i was wondering if you had any suggestions on a first bass. I was thinking about getting the fender deluxe bass with regular pbass and jazz pickups. But any suggestions would be great. thanks. :D .

2. If you have a music store near your area, just go down there and play some of the basses in that price range.

The Fender P/J is a great bass. Even the Squier version isn't too shabby. If you try out the Fender P/J and like it, buy it!

Welcome to bass!

3. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Snaggletooth gave you the best advice. Go to the music store and play everything in your price range. Then decide. You never know. The P/J's are excellent basses.

Welcome to the low end :)

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yep, the P/J combination is a good one. The Mexican version of the Deluxe P is good. The MIA is fabulous.

5. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    If I can be the voice of dissent, I never really liked P/J basses that much. I would rather have one or the other. (And ended up getting a Standard Jazz.) What YOU like, however, is what you should buy. With $4-500, you have a lot of options.

6. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I would get an essex jazz bass for about $100 then buy an amp with the left over money

7. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    they certainly are getting great reviews on here...for the $$ left over you could get a good combo or get started on a small rig...

if you can wait a month, Essex is supposed to have a new shipment/new designs, it may be worth it. (www.rondomusic.bigstep.com)