Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hey New Yawkuhs...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by isolated, May 4, 2005.

1. isolated

isolated Kind of a Jerk, But Funny. Supporting Member

I'll soon be transplanting to the boroughs, and will of course be car-free (not CARE-free, CAR-free. I won't have a car.). So I have a question for those of you who schlep on the subway: Where do you stand to keep the bass out of the way? During off hours, I'm sure it's easier, but it seems like one's only recourse is to stay in the "disabled" area, which doesn't really give you any extra room. I know I'll figure out what works best in time, but I thought someone might be able to give a few pointers in the meantime.

Many thanks,

2. isolated

Not far from your 'hood, actually. So I'll be dealing with the 2/3 and possibly the Q. I know what to expect on most of the lines, I just have a tendency to over-prepare. I live in a big city already, but public transit is not as plentiful as it is there. I've got to walk a mile to a train right now, so I've got a wheel, but I'll be getting a Gaines before I go. The only thing here that's easier for a bass is that the trains, though smaller, have a seatless area that's meant for wheelchairs and accomodates a bass nicely. Plus you're out of everyone's way. I'm sure I'll manage to find a way to deal. I just wanted to know if anyone had any tips, which you gave me, and I appreciate.

3. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I sit toward the middle of the train (right by a door is great as you get armrests that help with the rest of my appraoch) as the ceiling is higher in the center. I run my Gaines low (to save on the bass) and if the bass is vertical the tire mushes out a bit and is a little less likely to roll. I sit with my feet on either side of the wheel just in case I do get the fiddle off-axis, making the wheel want to scoot.

Otherwise, I still like the middle of the train, and I'll put my back against the first pole with the bass toward the aisle that crosses the train (connecting right door to left, if this makes any sense).

If the train is really full you have to do the vertical thing while standing, which I do alla time anyhow but is a little trickier on the moving train, with short, fat ladies being your worst enemy as they tend to just bump into anything without regard.

4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    I tend to take my wheel off when I get to the platform and I aim for the door between cars at ether the front or the back of the car. If there's a seat, I can grab it and be out of the traffic path and if there ain't a seat I can lean against the door.

5. isolated

Many thanks for the advice. Looking forward to putting it into practice!

6. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    I like the ends of the subway cars, where there is often the least traffic. If I'm standing with the bass, I try to keep the bridge/front away from the other people. Also, if your bass case is cheap - now is the time to upgrade!

And avoid rush hours!! It's better to get there earlier. All the best!