Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hey New Yorkers!! Help me out...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Deano Destructo, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I just recently moved to New York and am trying to get an idea of how big a rig would be ideal here (silly question, I know :D ). Most of the bands I've seen have had the bassplayers playing through small combo amps with either a line out to the PA or mic'd up, is this the norm? I really looking at buying a GK 1001 RB II here pretty soon and idealy what might be the best cab config. to go with it. I don't own a car here or play in a band currently (although I'll be auditioning soon) so portability is a huge issue. Any help from those with a little more experience? :help:

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Like you said, most of the places you'll play in the villages (east/west) are small enough where 100-150W is PLENTY (Sidewalk, CNote, Bitter End etc) or have a good PA so you only need it for a monitor (Acme Underground). I got by with an ampeg b100r combo for a few years.
    So, if you have 250W available that'll be plenty I'd say. A 2*10 or 1*12 should do you fine for most gigs - of course, if you're playing in a covers band playing bars round the area or in a metal band you might need more juice.
    There are some places with house rigs (such as the CNote), I've gotten used over the years to setting those amps EQ flat and using a preamp pedal and/or my onboard preamp to get my sound. That way I can go into to pretty much any place and get my sound quick.
    Where on the N train are you? We lived in Astoria for nearly 4 years before we bought a house in Westchester a few years ago. Did you know the N & R stands for the Never and the Rare? ;)
    If you have any more questions, ask away. And welcome to the area!

3. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Thanks alot David. Yeah, I'm in Astoria off of 35th and Broadway. I hadn't heard that saying about the N or the R but its so true. Must mean the W stands for where the hell is my ride? :p .The G is worse than both of 'em though :eek: .
    Anyway, I play mostly Funk/Rock type stuff and currently own a mesa RR 1x15 as my cab. While not light its durable as all get out and might be worth keeping for subway jaunts just for that reason on some type of dolly or something. I'm unsure if I'll keep it or not. Anyway, I just sold my 400+ cause the weight and fragile state weren't what I'd call friendly if you didin't own a car. I'm thinking of picking up a 700rb III or a 1001RB II here in a week or so. If I get the 700 I might pick up a sansamp bass driver DI to use for the reason you've mentioned. I'm not sure what the better route would be to go since I can't do both right now. More power or greater versatility? Also if I lose the 15" what do you think I should grab instead? :confused:

4. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    For what its worth, my 1001 RB II and an aguilar GS 112 really delivers a lot, and with my second GS 112 its pretty deafening if need be. Get a cart and some bungee cords to make it sefl portable.

5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

When I lived in NY, I gigged at most of the joints down in the village. Many already had rigs [crappy ones] and the one's where I had to bring mine, I used a Peavey TNT130 combo amp and had no trouble hearing myself onstage with or without PA support. But then I was playing at moderate volume in R&B/Funk/Jazz bands. I cannot speak on loud rock/metal, etc if that's what you do.

6. skinnypete

skinnypete

Oct 7, 2004
    New York, NY
    In the 10 years that I have been playing in New York I have rarely ever needed more than a head for any club; most clubs have a backline that includes at least a cab of some sort.

However, I grew tired of reading the equipment list on a club's website which would list one thing as the backline and then showing up the night of the show to find a Peavey combo.

On the rare occaision that I needed a full rig, I got by with my head (SWR 350) and a 1X15.

The best thing to do is to familiarize yourself with what clubs have as a backline (I actually had a list at one time) and bring just what you need. Keep in mind that if the club has a PA the sound guy will always run you direct and invariably want your stage volume to be low. Some won't even let you use your own stuff at all. Also, clubs in NYC don't take into account that some bassists have expanded ranges these days
    (low Bs, 5 and 6 strings and 12 strings) and you will have to play through a basic setup that won't really capture your tone.

My band has a van because we mostly play out of town now so it's not a big hassle to bring part or all of my rig to the club depending on its size.

7. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    i'd suggest the 1001 RB-II and a GK Neo 112. I got to use that at Pianos, which had the whole backline less a bass rig, and it worked well for stage reference. There was a PA though.

The Neo is nice because you can tote it with one hand if necessary (it's that light). They're fairly inexpensive too. I hope to put some more mileage on it, but as mentioned, most NYC venues have at least a spkr cab, if not a full rig.

-aram

8. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    nyc cabs? i'd say a beg end 1x15 or an aggie 1x12. heads? you have a lot of options, but i think the eden 550 would be a member on a very short list.

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    yup, the lighter the better, and the Aguilar 1x12's have a nice cost/weight/tone ratio. 2 together are about as loud as a low line 4x10.

but course, it all depends on what you're doing. with my funk rock trio, my Epifani 3x10 w/ Focus 600 was enough. with my current trip hop group, a pair of Acme 1x10's w/ my iAMP-800 is more than enough.

also, get used to using a headphone amp. its AMAZING how easily bass travels from your hands, and straight into the annoyed nerves of your next door neighbors. i like using the out from my iAMP, but my Raven Labs headphone/practice amp is great, too.

another idea is to get a storage space in the city, like a Manhattan Mini Storage room. the fee's vary, but you can get a small room that's a nice little place in the city to keep all your gear securely, and yet not have to lug it too far when you're traveling in from Queens, or like myself, when i'd be coming in from Ridgewood, outside of Billyburg. i happened to find one downtown near Tribeca, where most of the clubs are in the first place.