Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

hey newbies!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by john turner, Nov 12, 2002.

1. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    come here and say howdy :).

2. hey guys, im kinda a newbie, i just started posting again after a year. ive been playing for 5 1/2 years. im brian and i play 6 string in a funk metal band called Banjo Pussy Whistle. i also have another band called Japanese Raccoon Fight.

3. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Hello Newbies.

My name is Gabriel. It's nice to meet ya.

4. ivanthetrble

ivanthetrble

Sep 9, 2002
    Orygun
    Semi-newbie here. Greetings from the rainy Pacific Northwest! :D

5. JeremyBender

JeremyBender

Oct 22, 2001
    NY
    I guess I'm still a newb. I dont post much, but I would like to consider becoming a paying member. I think this site has a plethora of information for the active bassist, or anyone wanting to learn. I dont post much, but I browse everyday, because by searching the site, you can gather info on most anything regarding bass playing, and bass guitars in general. You think sales people in music stores are going to be un-biased and subjective? No way!

By the way, my name is John, and I am 31 years old. I started playing bass (again) last year when my wife bought me a MIM Jazz for my 30th birthday. I played from the age of 12 until I was 18 and gave it up. Isn't amazing the last person who would support such an expensive hobby is the very person who got me back into it? I feel lucky! I am taking lessons with an awesome teacher now, and I am really glad to be playing bass. It's such a wonderful instrument. This time, I am doing it right though. Nothing like a good teacher to set you straight..

Thanks to TalkBass for the help also though. This is one of the better online message boards I have been a member of.

6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey, welcome to all, and congrats on re-finding the bass, john :).

7. lil_bass_boy

lil_bass_boy Banned

Oct 25, 2001
    Maryland, USA
    I guess I'm a newbie. I don't post that much, but hope to post more in the future. Read my profile for info, I'm too lazy to type stuff out right now :D

-Max

8. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I am an old guy! Hardly new to the planet. I post lots bcause, I can't, and don't want to shut up!

9. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    hey..I have been a member for like a month or 2 now..so newbie city..haha. I have only been playing bass since may, and have been teaching myself , but I play so much (nearly 2 hours a day when my family doesn't yell at me..hehe..) that I can already outperform several bassists with two years under their belt :D. Anyway I started a band two months ago and am writing material for it. I am not new to music..I have been a trumpet player for some time now. You all may laugh but my material really isn't that bad compared to a lot of the local stuff out there..haha..I think I have knack for this bass thing though, but right now I am looking for a good teacher that I can afford (18 year old college student with no car that lives at home with no job) I have already been through two basses and two amps and really getting a feel for the market. Right now I am using a peavey 10" amp with a Spector NS2000Q5..I LOVE spector basses..I played several pricier basses that didn't have the thump or feel of the Spectors. Anyway, love the site, lots of great info for us lowly newbie bassist:confused: . If i get a job I'l definately become a supporting member.

10. Grygore

Grygore

Oct 25, 2002
    Grand Prairie, TX
    I'm pretty new to these boards as well, glad I found em though, lots of great info :D

Like JeremyBender, I just recently picked up the bass again, after playing for about 15 years. I had stopped for over a year...can you imagine?? Much happier now that I'm playing again though - a bit rusty, but it's all coming back;)

I also just got into doing some recording on my PC using Sound Forge and Acid. A bit frustrating as I learn the software but I have some great drum loops to jam with!

Anyway, saw this thread so I thought I'd do my newbie duty and say Hi! Errr....Howdy!

11. ive pretty new to here and haven't been playing bass that long (june). I think this site is great and full of great info

12. Newbie here.
    Been playing bass for two years.
    My band Gunther rocks.
    Especially since we did recording in the studio last Saturday, me stoned and my guitarist hung over.
    Yeah.

13. Scracth that, i've been playing three or four years. What was I thinking?My memory is a bit foggy...:p

14. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    see what drugs make to your body?

15. Solid-Body

Solid-Body Guest

Nov 10, 2002
    Exiled to Australia
    Names Derek. Been playing (solo) for about 5 years off and on. Now getting serious bout joinin a band.
    Found this site about 2 weeks ago and registered about 2 days ago. I think it has some really good info and great potential. Will most likely become a supporting member, and I like that T to the left!
    (Edit: Site has some good members, too!)

16. Sure. everwhat say you, man.

17. Ahh the problem with threads like these is that it really re-inforces just how long it seems myself and many others have been here.

So Welcome all!

*hobbles away with walking frame*

:D:D

Merls

18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Welcome to Talkbass, newbies! Don't be shy!:)

19. Where 'bouts, man? Seeing as how I'm up in Clackamas, and work at GC, and give discounts to TB members?

:D

Rock on
    Eric

20. Grygore

Grygore

Oct 25, 2002
    Grand Prairie, TX

Hmmm...is that close to Portland? My father-in-law lives there...but he's a drummer...maybe he could pose as a TB'er for me?:cool: