Hey Nino (and other Sadowsky fans)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassaussie, Feb 12, 2002.

1. bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Hey Nino,

I got my Sadowsky yesterday. Holy crap, what an amazing instrument! First thing I did was wack that open E, and it just sounded amazing. The build quality is exceptional, and the fretwork is definately the best I've seen. It's a lovely bass to play, but one thing I found is that it's not very forgiving. It really highlights sloppy playing. I mentioned this to Roger this morning, and he said a few people had mentioned the same thing, so at least I know I'm not the only sloppy bassplayer in the world!! :D The clarity of the notes is just incredible, and I've also found that it really responds to my playing changes. If I want a different sound, rather than just go for the eq, it seems more capable of reflecting the way I'm playing. As I'm sure is abundantly clear, I'm VERY happy!

Anyway, just want to let you know that I got it (and to stick my tongue out and say "beat ya, beat ya"!) Let us know when your one arrives.

Cheers, bassaussie.
  2. Congrats! I felt the same why when I got mine - amazing workmanship and a tone that's just "right"!

I should have my fretless very soon.

Post a pic when you can...

3. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    How dare you post about a new bass, and not post pics?! :D
  4. I had they same impression when I received my Sadowsky jazz bass. Part of the cure is adjusting your playing because the bass is so responsive. However, I did find the strings Roger puts on his basses amplify my finger noise and glitches. Try something like DR Fat Beams or LoRiders or other brand. I now like Roger's strings but it took me a while to play them better.

His basses are exceptional. It's going to be a long time before I get my PJ 4 spalted maple bass. That'll be my fifth Sadowsky.:eek: but really:D
  5. You must have one heck of a day job!:D What is it you do anyway (besides play bass)?;)
  6. bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    This is a photo that Roger supplied to me just before the bass arrived. To be honest, I don't think it does the bass justice, as the maple top is much nicer in real life. But you'll get the general idea.

7. bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    I should clarify myself here. I think the bass exposes sloppy playing as it transmits exactly what the player is playing. So, for me, it's just a matter of tightening up my technique. I've actually played the bass for a few hours today, and everything was sweet after the first half hour or so. As for his strings, I quite like them. I got him to send me 6 packs, just to give them a decent tryout (he does a very good deal on them). I had a bit of a dilemma there, actually, as I usually use 40-100, but I decided to go with 45-105 as Roger suggested they made the sound of the bass reach it's full potential. So far I'm glad I did. It's a bit more difficult for me to play, but I'm enjoying be able to dig in a bit more. The only real problem I'm having is with vibrato/string bending, but I'll just need to practice a bit more.
  8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Well, as Roger said in his last email:

JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!!:D:D:D

I did something VERYYYYYYY BADDDDDDD today. I think I'll wait a few days to put a post about it.
  9. lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK

You must mount it and assert your dominance. ;) :D

I've had mine for almost a year, and I'm just finally getting it tamed. Going from a very narrow four to a pretty wide five didn't help. But the payoff is worth the effort, believe me.

Roger's strings are too bright from my tastes, but so are most steels. I've got a set of Labella Slappers (nickel-plated steel) that have been on for over six months. I think you'll find that you change strings MUCH less often. Six packs? You might already have a lifetime supply. ;)

Beautiful bass, by the way.
  10. I'm an adult film star for Vivid Video. I work with Jenna Jameson and the like.

...I WISH!
  11. bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    That's strange

You must be getting pretty edgy about getting your bass. When's it due?
  12. bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    You should look in my cupboard - for some reason, I've amassed about 40 packs of strings, just because I keep buying 'em when I see a good price, or I feel like trying a new set out, so I buy 2 more sets in case I like them!!

And thanks for the compliment.
  13. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    LAMOROTF!!!!!! That's tooooo funny. He told me it should be ready this week.

Edgy isn't the right wird. Like I said "I did something VERYYYYYYY BADDDDDDD today.":D :eek:
  14. bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Now you've got me interested!! What've you been up to? I can sense a change in the air, or possibly another bass!
  15. You...

1. Sold a Sadowsky bass.
    2. Ordered another Sadowsky bass before this one is finished.
    3 Had those beans and then went to Sadowsky's little demo room and re-defined low end.

And sweet blue bass up there! Very cool.

Per previous post, my day job: diagnostic radiologist(M.D.) specializing in MRI, CT, ultrasound, and biopsies.:cool:
  16. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
  17. Yep, pretty good day job I'd say.;) Our drummer is also a radiologist I believe.:)
  18. KPO2000

KPO2000 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2001
    Congratulations! Glad to hear the bass arrived in one piece. I totally know what you are saying about how it highlights your playing.

Question for all you Sadowsky owners....One thing about Sadowsky Strings that they shipped with (in my case 45-105s.) I like them, but I noticed that that they seem sort of mellow--very comfortable and full, but lacking some snap that I like. I put on some DR high beams and shazzam...its a new bass. It slaps, pops, and fingers in a bit more brite "modern" way now. I like the Low Riders as well and think those might be an even better compromise between the Sadowsky strings and the High Beams.

Anybody else experience this with Sadowsky/Labellas?
  19. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    on my Sadowksy I always used nickel string. I like it better on that bass then stainless steel.
    I think Sadowskys with maple board have already enough snap.
  20. bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Well, I'm only a newbie to Team Sadowsky ( :) ), but I think the strings that came on the bass are pretty nice. Funny that some people think they're not "zingy" enough, and others think they're too "zingy". I'm still overwhelmed by the clarity of the bass, so I'm gonna stick with them for now (I have to, I bought 6 extra packs LMAO! :D ).

BTW, Nino, how about an update? I'm stinging to find out about this "bad" thing you've done! :D