HEY! Oh, and tuner help?!?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CactusJack, Jan 3, 2003.

1. Just figured I'd say Hi coz I'm new to the forum!

Actually I'm new to the whole bass thing....only been playing 3 months! I started playing on my dad's old Pale Blue 60's Futurama! Totally sucked...but it had a certain 'Pimp-Daddy' kind of quality!

After I nailed a few songs, I figured I'd upgrade a bit. So I just got an Ibanez BTB405QM. Which was just within my budget, and I really like it. If anyone else has the same guitar or has played one then I'd like to hear your opinions on it!

Also, can anyone recommend a good guitar tuner? I obviously can't tune by ear yet...and I spose I'm kinda lazy anyway!

Thanks for reading my post, and any help given will be appreciated!

2. Groovski

Sep 20, 2002
    My happy place
    Congrates for the new bass and welcome to TB (TalkBass).
    I used to have a 5 string Ibanez SR504 or something like that and I eventually traded it for an amp.
    I have a Yamaha BB1600 4 string and a Peavey Cirrus 5 string and an Uprightthat I play on stage.
    As far as a tuner, go to any music store and you'll be able to fine one fairly inexpensive. Good luck with your playing.
  3. Hey there, welcome :)

Like Groovski said, going to your local music store would be ideal, and I'd recommend a Korg. I don't know the model, but it's a rectangle shape, and silver - It has a bunch of notes you can use for tuning (C, B, E, A, D, G and some others).

G'luck, and happy bass playing :)
  4. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Uh, i do belive that every tuner has all the notes needed. Just any tuner will do. korg is good, but it's not NEEDED, Just go look at tuners, they all do the same job. A kork will last forever , though.
  5. Mazinger

Mazinger Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2002
    My favorite to use is a korg gt-3 tuner.

It's all auto, no switching at all. Just turn on the power and tune away.

BTW-since it's auto, it doesn't have C and F.
  6. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Do yourself a favour and buy the Boss TU-2 pedal tuner if you can afford it, it's simply the best.
  7. Ditto!
  8. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    you don't know supreme tunability till you have a Sabine RT1700 rackmount tuner. And it can be had for only the small price of........ $209:eek:
    A bit much price wise, but man does it tune!
  9. Agreed. When connected to a PSU, tt can give out 200mA for your other pedals as well!
  10. For a very simple and cheap tuner, you could just go with something like the Korg CA-20.
  11. Cheers for the help guys. Much appreciated!

I was looking @ a Korg tuner the other day.....they seem relatively inexpensive so maybe that's the way to go to start with!

Also, it makes a change to go on a forum with a good atmosphere. Forums I've been on before have always been bad news.

A car related forum I used to read/post on was terrible. It was always: '**** you, your car sucks, what I say is right, whatever anyone else thinks is wrong....and if you don't like it....bite me!' Which weren't really top of the pops!

Anyway, thanks again lads!

EDIT(RL)--In the future, please mask swear words completely with asterisks.
  12. man, those things rule, i tried my mates, have been gassing for one since... but i have had all hell trying to find one in the UK, went into London, asked in about 10 shops all say "we don't have any in stock" came back a few months later and all the same, except two of the shops told me that there wern't any in the country let alone the shop!!! :eek: :( if you can find one let me know!! even if its off some website, i dont mind paying delivery fees! Cheers.